Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a question concerning dual boot for Linux and Windows. Do you know how should I proceed if I want to install a Windows 7 OS on a new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot for Linux and Windows

I have a question concerning dual boot for Linux and Windows.
    Do you know how should I proceed if I want to install a Windows 7 OS on a new notebook (HP Probook 4540s) with preinstalled SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11?
    The problem is that I want to keep the Linux but I want to make a partition where I want to put Windows 7, to have both operating systems on the same HDD but on different partitions. Is there a possibility to make that partition without destroying the preinstalled Linux?
    Also, is it possible to save an image on DVD (DVD ISO) of Linux, just in case that something goes wrong and I have to reinstall Linux?
    My notebook didn't came with a Linux DVD, just with a preinstalled Linux on the hard drive and I can't identify the installation kit on the hard drive.
    Thank you.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My advice is to NOT dual boot such a system. It is better, in my experience, to install a virtual machine manage such as VirtualBox, and install Windows in a virtual machine. I do this all the time. I will NEVER dual boot a system unless I have to have direct access to the hardware because of kernel development needs. I run Linux under windows on my work system, and windows under Linux on my home workstation. Both approaches have been very reliable.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!