Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was unsure whether I should post this in the Newbie section or the installation section, as it sort of goes under both, I guess. I've been trying to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu 13.10 goes missing after installation.

I was unsure whether I should post this in the Newbie section or the installation section, as it sort of goes under both, I guess.

I've been trying to install Ubuntu 13.10. The installation went smoothly, I looked at Ubuntu's guide, so I made sure I had the partitions I needed for a dual boot with windows 8, because when I first tried installing I did not get the option to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 8. So I chose "something else", and tried the partitions method. Everything went great, the installation went smoothly. Only problem is, Ubuntu has gone missing. When I go onto Windows 8 again, and look at my partitions, and the partition I installed ubuntu to is empty. It doesn't show up in the boot menu. If I try popping in the installation DVD again, it tells me I can install Ubuntu alongside Ubuntu.

I'm kind of scratching my head here as to what went wrong. I looked up numerous guides before actually installing, but as far as I can tell, I did what I was supposed to. Then again, I obviously didn't, since Ubuntu is gone.

I'm pretty much a total newbie with Linux, and with Windows 8 frankly, which has me pulling my hair out at the moment. I'm tempted to just remove Windows, but since all my files are on it, and I don't have an external HDD at the moment, that would be pretty stupid.

So please go easy on me and my n00bishness.

Just Joined!
    I hear Win8 has a partition editor sophisticated enough to see linux partitions now. Ok - but I've been using Gparted for years now. It works beautifully, and is easy to use, and does everything I think you will need.

I say this because I think you need to first look your hdd with Gparted - the linux partitioning tool. If the latest Ubuntu installer is using the simplified partitioning tool, "install" it while running your machine on the Ubuntu live cd. That won't actually install it to the hdd, but to memory, so you can use it. You can use apt-get (cli) to install Gparted, or maybe Synaptic (gui). I don't have a live CD in hand at the moment - but I think you can probably figure this out. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

From Gparted, take a look at your partitions to see how much is used, or not. Or, from Gparted, just go ahead and recreate the Linux partitions from scratch - that will wipe them clean. Then reinstall Ubuntu.

Here are some potential issues. Windows will want to use it's bootloader. I think it better to use Grub. I don't have Win8, and I seem to remember something about Win8 getting very particular that it's bootloader be the one used. You might want to spend an hour and read up on that. But, if Ubuntu sees the Win8 install, I would trust it to "do the right thing" about installing Grub or using the Win8 bootloader.

If you ended up using the Win 8 bootloader, not grub, I would not trust that it would manage a dual boot with Ubuntu appropriately. So, there you have question 1 - did Grub install correctly? Or did you end up with something else?

Next point, especially since you are new. At the most, only create separate partitions for the linux swap drive, the linux installation, /home, and /var. At the least, you are going to do one giant partition for all of linux except the swap, and a swap partition. The linux installers almost always manage quite well if you also use a separate partition for /home, and for /var. I usually recommend those two, but not others. Kiss, for one thing - but /home contains all your personal stuff. /var contains all the machine error messages, and as a new user you could end up with an error message that keeps logging itself until all the available space is used. If you are in one big partition - that error message just made your OS unbootable. Seen it happen. So I give a couple of gigs to /var. 10 gigs for everything else except /home, and the rest to /home, and you should be uber cool.

For you, wrap up. Build a new partition scheme for the linux install and reinstall. Disregard the previous installation - just make the new partitions on the same space. Leave the Win8 partition alone, unless you are just changing the size of it to tweak (hope you have a backup of important data). Understand whether Ubuntu is using Grub2 or the Win 8 bootloader.

Rsvp with your progress.

you can always do what I did (it has now changed)
    and buy another HDD and install Linux on it fully
    and when you plug them both in the grub will see them both and ask you what you wanna boot

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thank you so much, Mbuell, for your very understanding and elaborate reply! I'll try it out when I get back home

And Contra, I've actually considered that option, seeing as my computer has another unused HDD slot. So if all else fails, I'll go with that. Thanks!

Linux Guru
    I hear Win8 has a partition editor sophisticated enough to see linux partitions now.
    Could you post a link to your source? That would be a surprise. Googling "view linux from windows 8" just gets a lot of sites that list third party software which could work to do this.

Does your windows 8 partition editor show Linux as unallocated space, unknown filesystem or something similar?
    If you can boot windows 8 but not Ubuntu, you probably did not install the Ubuntu Grub bootloader to the master boot record. You can download EasyBCD on windows 8 and use it to boot both windows and Ubuntu.

Have you disabled Secure Boot in the BIOS?

If you want to use GParted, it should be on the Ubuntu installation medium. Just open a terminal from the medium and type: sudo gparted, it should open GParted.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Could you post a link to your source? That would be a surprise. Googling "view linux from windows 8" just gets a lot of sites that list third party software which could work to do this.

Does your windows 8 partition editor show Linux as unallocated space, unknown filesystem or something similar?
    If you can boot windows 8 but not Ubuntu, you probably did not install the Ubuntu Grub bootloader to the master boot record. You can download EasyBCD on windows 8 and use it to boot both windows and Ubuntu.

Have you disabled Secure Boot in the BIOS?

If you want to use GParted, it should be on the Ubuntu installation medium. Just open a terminal from the medium and type: sudo gparted, it should open GParted.
    Re: gparted on the CD: I've had some install CD's with it not there - the installer was using something simpler and not quite as robust, like ver 11? Not to worry, the details are not important - that the user understands how he can get to gparted is important.

Re: Win 8 and it's partition editor? No links - rumor. And, since I don't have Win8, . . .no accounting for the reliability of said rumor. I did think I read it or heard it somewhere, and perhaps my memory isn't as sharp as might be - but again - that is a "not to worry" 'cuz that is getting bogged down in irrelevancy. Take it as a conversational working point. It is not something I would care about even if true. One of the reasons I pointed to gparted is because I KNOW it does what we need done, and I KNOW it will do the job, and that it is easy to work with.