Find the answer to your Linux question:
HTML Code: I installed the iso file to a U.S.B. stick and booted into the liveCD option. Everything worked. I chose to install the operating system to a SATA hard-drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't boot PCLinuxOS after installation

HTML Code:
    I installed the iso file to a U.S.B. stick and booted into the liveCD option. Everything worked. I chose to install the operating system to a SATA hard-drive partition. I opted to install the GRUB boot loader to pclinuxos's root partition as I have a boot loader already in the MBR which boots my current Linux operating system. I couldn't boot, however.

I then booted back into the liveCD option to try to install GRUB via the command line. I did:

(as root user)
    Grub
    find /boot/grub/stage1
    root (hd1,7)
    setup (hd1,7)

as the root partition is on sdb8. This did not work. I also tried
    grub-install /dev/sdb8

Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    If you have another Linux system with its boot code on the mbr, you need to put an entry in that systems boot menu file. You neglected to mention which other Linux distribution you have or which bootloader it uses.

find /boot/grub/stage1
    root (hd1,7)
    setup (hd1,7)
    The above commands will install Grub to the partition on which PCLinuxOS is installed which you said you already did during the installation. The "grub-install /dev/sdb8" would do the same and not help at all. So if you want it to boot, you need to add the PCLinux entry to your other systems boot menu file. What that is will depend on which Linux distribution you are using and which version of Grub you are using. You could also install the PCLinux Grub to the mbr but, depending on which Linux distribution you have, it may be easier to put an entry in that menu. You're booting with another bootloader and you haven't informed it that another operating system exists so obviously it won't boot it.

Just Joined!
    I’m using the GAG boot loader and created an entry in it to boot PCLinuxOS’s root partition. I’ve got Mandriva 2008, which has its GRUB 0.97 menu in its root partition.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I’m using the GAG boot loader and created an entry in it to boot PCLinuxOS’s root partition.
    You forgot to post the menu entry you placed in the GAG bootloader so anyone familiar with it would not be able to advise you. Since you installed Grub on PCLinux to sdb8 during installation and again later that would not seem to be the problem. I'm not familiar with the GAG bootloader and it wouldn't work for me due to its limitation of 9 OSs.