Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anybody know about installing Fedora as dual-boot OS alongside ChromeOS? Have Acer C720 Chromebook. It has a 128GB SSD in, as described on Android Central , in order to load ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install Fedora Chromebook: "Not enough memory to load specified image"

Anybody know about installing Fedora as dual-boot OS alongside ChromeOS?
    Have Acer C720 Chromebook. It has a 128GB SSD in, as described on Android Central, in order to load F20 as a dual-boot OS, and presumably to boot via GRUB2.
    Have been into developer mode and enabled SeaBIOS as described on the ArchLinux wiki, and have made USB stick with F20 desktop/live on.
    Reboot→white warning screen→ctrl-L→SeaBIOS terminal-like screen with"esc for boot menu" on.

I get two options: 1=USB etc, 2=hard drive.
    Entering 1 gives a menu with start or troubleshoot on, and if I click either, I get this error message:-
    Not enough memory to load specified image.
    boot:
    I tried googling for that error and there is little to be found. The android Central link said to look for Bill Richardson's Google+ feed but I didn't find anything useful there.
    If I push tab on the menu, I get the following configuration options for (I think "start")
    vmlinuz0 initrd=initrd0.img root=live:CDLABEL=Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64-20-1 rootfstype=auto ro rdlive.image quiet rhgb rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 rd.dm= 0_
    I do not know how the SSD is partitioned; it was supposed to be something like this:-
    mbr
    16GB=Chrome
    500MB for /boot
    40GB for /
    4GB for swap
    remainder for /home
    ...but I do not know whether restoring Chrome has altered that.
    I can't seem to get gParted live disc to work; it keeps showing timeouts.
    Not sure how the USB stick is partitioned; I thought it was all formatted as FAT or FAT32.
    It said in the ArchLinux wiki mentioned earlier that you should use mem=1536m as an option; if I write that after boot it says
    Could not find kernel image: mem=1536m

Does anybody know about this problem and how to get it to accept the live USB? I get similar problems with a big download on a Fedora installation DVD.

Linux Engineer
    Do you meet the RAM requirements?

1.3.1. Processor and memory requirements for x86 Architectures
    The following CPU specifications are stated in terms of Intel processors. Other processors, such as those from AMD, Cyrix, and VIA that are compatible with and equivalent to the following Intel processors, may also be used with Fedora. Fedora 15 requires an Intel Pentium Pro or better processor, and is optimized for i686 and later processors.
    Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium Pro or better
    Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium Pro or better
    Minimum RAM for text-mode: 256 MiB
    Minimum RAM for graphical: 640 MiB
    Recommended RAM for graphical: 1152 MiB

Just Joined!
    Thank you both for replying .

The C720 has a 1.4GHz (I think) 2-core Celeron and 2GB of RAM. As far as I can tell it is a 64-bit machine.

I found that the ChromeOS restore stick partitions the hard drive as one partition. Can't remember link but can probably find it tomorrow if people want me to.
    I downloaded a new version of gParted and put it on my USB stick, and found there were about 8 partitions of about 512MB each, followed by the Chrome installation partition which occupied the whole of the drive (115GiB); I have shrunk that so as to leave 99GiB unallocated space (took only about 5 min with gParted), but that didn't sort out my problem
    I might try a Fedora net-install download, which is smaller than the DVD (~4.3GB) or the live USB (999MB).

Yes, I was aware of crouton, but was hoping to install Fedora. I found out about crouton here but the link you provided looks better. There is also this Reddit Tutorial.

I shall keep trying, and might ask on the Fedora website. If I get any success. I shall tell you. If no luck, I shall probably try crouton
    Thank you again

Just Joined!
    Weird. Very weird.

I tried F20 net-install and found the Chromebook ain't got an Ethernet socket
    But I have an old Linksys USB Ethernet adaptor (!!), which appears to work. But I got the same error.
    So, I tried downloading Ubuntu(13.10) desktop (about 863MB) and put it onto the same USB stick as before. I noticed the partition type was 0x00 (="bootable"), and I tried it on the C720→ctrl-L→esc to enter boot menu, and as soon as I pushed esc, an Ubuntu boot screen appeared. I am now running Ubuntu desktop on said C720, and shall try installing a clean install in a few minutes.

Just Joined!
    It seems to have worked. Have Ubuntu running. I shall try the Fedora installation on the stick and whether is has the same partition type (0x00)

Just Joined!
    It was the same partition type. I had difficulty getting the touchpad to work; I had to use the .sh file available here and after feeding the entire file, line by line, I got the touchpad to work.

I really cannot see why Fedora would neither boot nor install on my machine