Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, at this page , im required to install: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ethanak/milena my question is how to install/add this ppa with minimal data download and without add-apt command? I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to install an ppa without add-apt with minimal data download?

Hello,

at this page, im required to install:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ethanak/milena

my question is how to install/add this ppa with minimal data download and without add-apt command?

I have synaptic package manager, but i think when i do refresh it refreshes repos and downlaods alot of data which i dont want.
    Thanks alot
    "Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux affordable VPS."

Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    Hello,

at this page, im required to install:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ethanak/milena

my question is how to install/add this ppa with minimal data download and without add-apt command?

I have synaptic package manager, but i think when i do refresh it refreshes repos and downlaods alot of data which i dont want.
    Thanks alot
    The reason app packages were invented is so all the dependencies a app needs to work are downloaded and installed. So want you saying you don't want are thing you need. If you want less then go to the application's website most have one and download the source or they might have a tarball with the app only.

Is there any workaround how to add PPA without doing "sudo apt-get update" and cause bunch of data download? only downloading source? i mean doing update onyl for that particular ppa?
    /etc/apt/sources.list
    "Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux affordable VPS."

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by postcd View Post
    Is there any workaround how to add PPA without doing "sudo apt-get update" and cause bunch of data download? only downloading source? i mean doing update onyl for that particular ppa?
    /etc/apt/sources.list
    Again you trying to defeat the whole idea of a package system, if you don't apt-get update then other dependencies won't get updated. I'd say if you only want to update one app then do the whole thing manually. Download the source or the binary and install it, that way it won't be in the apt system.