Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey, yesterday there was a power failure at my house and when i turn on my desktop, i had problems with user permissions on linux. I restarted linux and then, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

error: unknown filesystem; grub rescue

hey, yesterday there was a power failure at my house and when i turn on my desktop, i had problems with user permissions on linux. I restarted linux and then, while booting, it gave me that error described on the title.

I've looked for some tutorials in order to fix this problem, but none of them could work.

I have some troubles about booting through USB or CD because my BIOS Setup doesn't have an option to boot via USB and i don't have access to my boot manager now and my CD-ROM driver is not working properly. At this moment, i only have access to BIOS setup and grub rescue.

I prefer to fix this problem through line commands but if it's not possible, i will try to recover my CD driver or boot manager, anyone knows how can i fix this?

Linux Engineer
    Grub has limited options, here are a few troubleshooting steps: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting

Sounds like your file system may have been corrupted. Your best bet is to use a rescue cd to run e2fsck on your system.

Just Joined!
    Well, i don't have any CDs to run e2fsck, but i'm going to do something different. I recovered my cd-rom drive and i'm gonna install windows in order to get boot manager and then i'm going to reinstall linux through usb drive. It's no big deal to me doing this because i didn't lose anything important on my linux and i've started to use linux since a few weeks ago. After installing Linux again, i'd like to know what can i do to make a recovery mode in order to not happen that nuisance again. I think that a power failure is enough to make that happen everytime

Linux Newbie
    my BIOS Setup doesn't have an option to boot via USB
    When rebooting with the USB plugged in, does tapping the key for "select media to boot from" work? If not, disconnecting the HD (leaving only the USB) has worked for me.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanderal View Post
    When rebooting with the USB plugged in, does tapping the key for "select media to boot from" work? If not, disconnecting the HD (leaving only the USB) has worked for me.
    thanks for your information but now i am using a boot manager plop

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by tjba22 View Post
    Well, i don't have any CDs to run e2fsck, but i'm going to do something different. I recovered my cd-rom drive and i'm gonna install windows in order to get boot manager and then i'm going to reinstall linux through usb drive. It's no big deal to me doing this because i didn't lose anything important on my linux and i've started to use linux since a few weeks ago. After installing Linux again, i'd like to know what can i do to make a recovery mode in order to not happen that nuisance again. I think that a power failure is enough to make that happen everytime
    Keep your install cd handy. They usually come with some sort of rescue mode. That will allow you to run e2fsck and re-install grub, etc, if needed.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Keep your install cd handy. They usually come with some sort of rescue mode. That will allow you to run e2fsck and re-install grub, etc, if needed.
    I don't use CDs anymore. I want to backup Linux periodically and store it in an USB pen drive for whenever it happens again, i will have my operating system restored as it was before. Or I have to do something on Linux to prevent this situation from happening again, but i think the first option is better.