Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been planning to install Linux into my comp. The newest RedHat 9 looks exciting. But because I still need Windows sometimes (unfortunately), I don't want to remove it. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    jnz
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux into new HD

I have been planning to install Linux into my comp. The newest RedHat 9 looks exciting. But because I still need Windows sometimes (unfortunately), I don't want to remove it. So I planned that I buy a new hard disk (40-60 gb) and make a 10-20 gb FAT-32 partition into it (for just extra storage space). The rest space would go to Linux. SO... how I can install RH9 into the new HD? In way that Windows would still work? Do I need to take any backups from my files? And if I (for some reason) remove the new HD from the comp and put it into another computer, would that work? I mean that LILO would not like it? And in such case, how I would fix it in a way that Windows would work after it?

Linux User
    downoad the redhat installation guide in pdf format or html from their website, it has got all the answers you ask. read the sticky post in the General section as well.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

jnz
    Just Joined!
    OK. I downloaded and read the installation manual and found the answers. So if I understood correctly, I will: 1) install new HD, 2) use fdisk to create new FAT partition to new HD (10-20 gb) and leave rest unpartitioned and 3) install Linux into this unpartitioned space.

Or?

Linux User
    correct! 1) install new HD, 2) use fdisk to create new FAT partition to new HD 3) create an ext3 partition 4) make sure to leave 500M to 1G empty space and make a swap partition there! If you have over 1G of Ram, you dun have to worry about swap space, for me I made myself a 2G swap! in case, cause I use 256 M ram only. ho ho ho, too much?
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

jnz
    Just Joined!
    Thanks skyfolly. I'll try that.

Linux Guru
    Remember to use GRUB, not LILO. LILO will most probably choke if you remove your second hard drive. GRUB won't like it if you put its configuration file on the second hard drive and then remove it, but it will still be able to use its command line interface. LILO will probably just hang upon boot if you were to remove the second hard drive.