Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, a few weeks ago i had a power failure in my house that has damaged my desktop, since this had corrupted my OS. I couldn't do anything on grub ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

grub installation packages or backup OS

Hi, a few weeks ago i had a power failure in my house that has damaged my desktop, since this had corrupted my OS. I couldn't do anything on grub rescue, so i had to reinstall Linux again. In order to prevent losing all my stuff and recover my OS, should i install some grub packages in order to obtain more resources for when that happen again or should i backup my OS?

Linux Guru
    If the problem is simply Grub being damaged and being unable to boot, the solution is to use the installation medium and reinstall Grub rather than the entire system. All the Grub files are on the installed system, usually in /usr/lib/grub or /lib/grub directories so there really isn't anything else to install. If it's a damaged Grub configuration, re-installing Grub from a Live/Install medium is usually the simplest solution since copying the files from the /usr/lib or /lib directories itself will not make the computer bootable.

Linux Guru
    A fdisk ran from gparted in a live session would have probably fixed the power failure non boot issue.
    Unmounted drive of course before running fdisk check.

I have ran into that running improperly umounted flash drive linux installs which is like a simulated power failure.
    Running a fdisk repaired them where they would boot up again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm not able to run a live session, that's why i am asking for this options. Or i use a well prepared mechanism before bad things happen or i backup my system to prevent losing all my stuffs installed or even both ways could be done

Linux Guru
    Back In Time | a simple backup system for Linux

Should suffice maybe, or not. I am surprised by you saying

I'm not able to run a live session
    but OK.