Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can someone tell me how to take 100 Gigs off of my Windows 8 partition for more space on my Ubuntu partition? Here is a screen shot of GParted and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Can someone tell me how to take 100 Gig off of my windows for Ubuntu?

Can someone tell me how to take 100 Gigs off of my Windows 8 partition for more space on my Ubuntu partition? Here is a screen shot of GParted and my set up; I'm running an Intel i5 quad-core laptop with 8 Gigs of RAM. If any other information is needed please ask. Any feedback or replies on this issue are appriciated.
    Thanks, Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images

You simply need to resize the partition to "unallocated" then format it to ext4. IIRC you can click on the Windows partition and select "resize partition" then use the down arrow to make it smaller, you'll see the numbers go up in the free space area below that. Keep going until you get to the number you want then finish setting it up. It'd be easier to do it then for me to tell you about it, LOL.
    After you get the unallocated space format it to ext4 and that way your Ubuntu install can use that space.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Just Joined!
    Screenshot from 2014-04-10 09:01:45.jpg

I resized the partition, but it won't allow me to created a new partition in the unallocated space. I turned swap off. I can resize the swap, but I can't resize the root partition... which is the direction I'd like to go. Could I resized my (/ root ext 4) partition if I put Gparted on a bootable .iso CD? In any sense, which direction do I go now to convert this partition to an ext 4 Linux partition?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You may have to boot into your computer from a Live USB or CD/DVD so you're not mounted to the hard drive. That's what I had to do to cut off 3GB of SSD space so I could leave it Unallocated. Also, I don't know if you want to create another partition as much as you just want to make the Unallocated section formatted to ext4.
    Still think if you just boot into your computer with a Live USB you an then use gparted to resize the ext4 partition that Ubuntu is on and it'll absorb the 100GB Unallocated part of the hard drive.

Just Joined!
    After I resized Windows 8 partition, I booted into windows. Everything appeared fine at first. I figured I'd install Office, while I was there. It still recognized the partition as if it had the additional 100 Gigs, and crashed at that point. So if there is a way around generating more space, I don't recommend resizing an active Window partition, at least not in that fashion. If anyone knows the proper path to take, I'd be interested.

At that point, Windows not working, I re-formatted the Windows NTFS partition to ext4. I'm in the process now of repairing the Grub file. Hopefully, I didn't lose my Linux partition as well. I wasn't particularly worried about the Windows 8 partition on that computer.

Booting from the live CD also wouldn't allow the operation in Gparted, even though I wasn't mounted on the Ubuntu partition. I also tried Linux SystemRescueCD. I'm sure there's a way around it. I just took the wrong path.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

That's odd because the only way I could resize the ext4 partition on my SSD was to boot to a Live USB so I'd not be mounted to the SSD. I guess if you have the install discs you could Nuke everything and partition stuff out like you want it with a size NTFS partition you want for your Windows install and use what's left as ext4 for your Linux install. Other then that I really don't know what to tell you to do.

Linux Guru
    The image you posted explains the problem. You already have four primary partitions and can't create another one. You have an extended partition which you must resize, increase to include the unallocated space. It looks like sda3 is the Extended partition but my eyes aren't good enough to read the image. You would need to move the Extended partition to the left in GParted and then you should be able to create another logical partition there.

Using a Live CD on a CD/DVD/flash drive is the best way to work on partitions. Trying to make changes from within a mounted system almost always causes problems.