Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Should I even be thinking about installing Linux...

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 80.00%
  • No

1 20.00%
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing to a disk on a PCI controller card

I'm new to Linux and I recieved Suse Linux Professional 9.1 from Novell on DVD. The drive I want to install Linux to is connected to a 3rd party controller card (Promise SATA2 Tx2Plus). I downloaded drivers for Suse Linux from Promise, but when I bring up the installation program I don't see an option to use a 3rd party controllers (like the F6 option when installing windows). It only shows the partition that I don't want Linux installed on (2 SATA drives RAID 0). It shows the RAID drives both individually and together, and I don't want to screw up my RAID array. Any help? Thanx in advance.

Linux Newbie
    If it's a Promise card, it has onboard BIOS -- Linux should see it natively and treat it just the same as standard hard drives.

I used to have a machine with 8 IDE drives (1TB drive space) that used a Promise card for the extra 4 drives -- no extra drivers needed.

While my experience with the Promise cards are for the IDE models only, I'm pretty sure they are the same with SATA versions.
    Blog - KB5UMQ - Linux User #272983
    3 Rules:
    1) "It doesn't work..." is simply not useful information.
    2) Don't cross post!
    3) If you are asking for help, start by telling us your distro/os and version.

-->
    That's the problem. I started up the installer, and it didn't recognise it. It had the SATA drives and IDE drive on my mobo's native controller, but not the one on the Promise card.

$spacer_open
$spacer_close