Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there i'm new here and i want to learn something about linux distributions and others I have a small problem and i think that will be a lot of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

multiple os

Hi there i'm new here and i want to learn something about linux distributions and others
    I have a small problem and i think that will be a lot of users here with experience to help me.
    Here is the problem:
    I have a 500gb hdd sata2 and i want to install
    windows 7
    opensuse
    fedora
    slax
    and others

The question is how to put more operating sistems on usb?
    I have a 16gb usb and i want to put there what i need to install
    I want to have windows 7 because something will go wrong i will go in windows 7 to search for problems.
    I was tryed with virtual machine but is working slow...

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure I understand what you want. There should be no problem putting the operating systems you mention on a 500GB drive. Installing windows first and then the others sequentially. The problem most people have with multi-booting is not understanding the bootloaders and installing them improperly.

Do you first want to put the Live CD or installation of each system on the 16GB flash drive and install from there.
    You can also install the operating systems to the usb the way you do to a regular drive but you would not be able to get the ones you listed on a 16GB drive.

Just Joined!
    I want a program to put all os instalations on usb.
    Because i use more .iso utility and when i need it i must to format and put again etc.

Sorry for my bad english but my native language is another one.

Linux Engineer

With a 16GB USB you'd be lucky to get maybe 3 Op Systems on it. You have a 500GB HDD, why not just install the Op Systems onto the hard drive, starting with the hardest one first and moving to something that installs easier. Or better yet, why not just pick an Op System and install it onto the entire hard drive and dump all the others? You can boot into each one via "Live" USB that you make with UNetbootin and give em' a Test Drive to see what suites you best then install and use it and forget about the others.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

windows 7
    opensuse
    fedora
    slax
    and others

The question is how to put more operating sistems on usb?
    Windows 7 does not run as a live session. So forget that part.
    You can dd a Windows install from one drive to another.
    I've done it for XP from SSD drive to SD Card.

So what you are asking is impossible . Otherwise. gregm post is the only thing possible besides maybe

The rEFInd Boot Manager

Any Windows 7 Iso will be a installer iso. Not a live running Windows 7.

Legal issues apply in this thread also by the way.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Guru
    Putting multiple Live CDs on a flash drive is considerably simpler than doing it on a CD/DVD which from your last post, is what I understand you want. If you are using Ubuntu and its derivatives, you can install Grub2 to to the mbr and put the Grub2 boot files on a partition and use the loopback method to boot them. You can then just put the Ubuntu and derivative iso files on the partition. You need to create your grub.cfg file manually. There are a number of tutorials online, especially at the Ubuntu forums on how to do this.

You can also use syslinux or Grub Legacy to boot a Live CD or multiple Live CDs from a flash drive partition. The difference is neither will boot an iso file (AFAIK) but the CD needs to be first mounted and then copied to the flash and again, you need to create the boot menu file, menu.lst or syslinux.cfg or whatever it is.

The MultiBoot system above works but from what I have read, on a limited number of distributions. It is windows software as is pendrivelinux.

Last year, I put 20 Linux Live distributions and utilities on the drive. Booted with Grub Legacy and chainloaded to Grub2 on a second partition. It was interesting and satisfying when it finally worked but this is not something that can be done with a few mouse clicks or commands. There are too many changes in systems and not enough demand for anyone to create that kind of software.