Find the answer to your Linux question:
starts off simple, but gets MUCH MUCH WORSE I seem to have successfully mounted a USB with Code: dd if=./Desktop/debian-live-7.4-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M; sync and got: dd if=./Desktop/debian-live-7.4-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M; sync ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation debian.iso + Horrible USB problems, new issues. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

starts off simple, but gets MUCH MUCH WORSE

I seem to have successfully mounted a USB with

Code:
    dd if=./Desktop/debian-live-7.4-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M; sync
    and got:

294+1 records in
    294+1 records out
    1235451904 bytes (1.2 GB) copied, 204.681 s, 6.0 MB/s

is this an indication of success? the usb seems to contain nothing yet it seems very very full and I will explain why I say that.

upon checking the properties,

contents: nothing
    free space: 3.6 GB
    12.3 GB used
    total capacity: 16 GB

how can this be if the debian.iso is only 1.2 GB

then

horrible problem

what i did:

dmesg | tail (to find my USB)

then

sudo umount /dev/sdc1

/sbin/mkdosfs -F 32 -n debianUSB -I /dev/sdc1 (this used to rename it but doesn't work anymore for some reason) and also makes it fat32

then

find . -iname debian-live-7.4-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso

then

so I managed to set up the USB and I hit esc during startup and then F9 for boot options. I selected my USB drive and "SUDDENLY DEBIAN"

I selected graphical install and choose "english english" etc. but then I made a mistake and choose to go "back" but instead of it going back, it went forward and asked me what type of keyboard I was using, and the button to go "back" disappeared, so I looked for a way to exit out and start over, but I was unable to, so I shut my computer down (bad idea?) and started the computer back up to try the graphical install again. I went through all the same steps but this time after selecting my usb drive, debian didn't pop up, it just remained a black screen.

"okay I messed up, my live usb's have messed up before" so I loaded back up into "broken piece of junk mint" and re did all those steps, umount, mkdosfssdffds etc. and completely re-did my usb, and put my debian.iso back onto it. THIS time however, the name of my usb magically changed to debian wheezy (without my permission) (this didn't happen the first time) and when I looked inside of it, instead of being blank like last time, it was full of what seemed to be corrupted files and strange symbols right out of the matrix movie. I re-did these steps again, tried to re-mount the live USB etc. and now when I plug in the usb, "broken junktastic mint" wont even recognize that it exists.....

Just Joined!
    Have you considered trying LMDE which is pure Debian but has been 'tamed' by the Mint crew, it's based on Debian Testing , is rock steady and as I installed it yesterday I can recommend it - distrowatch .com/ newsid=08323

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The ISO (probably in ISO-9660 format) is NOT compatible with a USB or other drive device. Use a tool such as unetbootin to create a bootable live USB drive from the ISO image, and then boot that. This is rocket science, and I don't have the time to get into the details with you. What I am trying to say (and not particularly diplomatically - sorry about that) is that just copying the iso with dd to the USB device is not an option and will not work...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What did you use to install the .iso into the USB? Personally, I'd format the USB to FAT then use UNetbootin to "burn" the .iso to the USB stick so it'll be a Live USB. That being said be ready to plug in your ethernet cable because a lot of times Debian won't support your wifi out of the box unless you've already got the firmware to put into the "firmware" folder that's created when you put the .iso onto the USB.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Linux Guru
    it was full of what seemed to be corrupted files and strange symbols right out of the matrix movie
    Improper unmounting of flash media or internal ssd drives will do that. You need to reformat the drive back to fat32 and start over from scratch.

Other than that. Rubbermans advise is spot on. Use Unetbootin. It has been OK for me (though I use the linux, not windows or mac version).

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Improper unmounting of flash media or internal ssd drives will do that. You need to reformat the drive back to fat32 and start over from scratch.

Other than that. Rubbermans advise is spot on. Use Unetbootin. It has been OK for me (though I use the linux, not windows or mac version).
    I have used both the Windows and Linux versions of Unetbootin without problems.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!