Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know early on I had issues when I tried to do this for a laptop that I had but that's been over a year ago and I've learned a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing Ubuntu 14.04 on a Windows 8, UEFI laptop?

I know early on I had issues when I tried to do this for a laptop that I had but that's been over a year ago and I've learned a lot about Linux since then. Still, I want to get my ducks in a row for this install.
    Just like I figured my daughter's laptop with Windows 8 has been borked, told her now to get a Windows machine, told her to get an older laptop and I'd install Linux on it so she'd not have problems with viruses and malware, she didn't listen so now here we are, just like I said we'd be.
    So, I told her I can install Linux on her new laptop and get her back up and running and she'd not have to worry about stuff like this anymore. Figure that Ubuntu 14.04LTS may be a good way to go since it's a new laptop with plenty of RAM and a good processor and Unity would probalby look more modern and be easier for her to use then say Xfce or MATE(both of which I totally love by the way) so I've downloaded the 64bit version of 14.04 and just wanted to make sure I get everything ready to go properly.
    I know I need to get into BIOS and set some things up. I need to turn on Legacy Boot IIRC and there was a couple other things that I just can't recall so I wonder if ya'll would be so kind as to hit me with the info I'm going to need to get 14.04 installed in place of(not along side of) Windows 8.
    I figure I'd boot to my Point Linux USB and format the hard drive to ext4 right out of the gate, that'll give me a clean hard drive to install to. Then is it a pretty much straight forward install from that point on or are there a few little tricks I'll need to know with a UEFI system? Anyway, thanks in advance. Talk to ya'll later.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Make sure secure boot is turned off otherwise you'll get a nasty surprise at grub installation time.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I hit the ol' YouTube and did a search. What I've found out is that I need to hit "esc" until I can get into BIOS settings then I disable UEFI/secure boot and enable Legecy then set my boot order up the way I want it to be(I like USB then Optical Drive then any other devices and then Hard Drive and Network as the last option) then I can hit the escape key again and get into the boot option screen and select the drive or usb stick I want to boot to. From there I can totally format the hard drive to get totally rid of Windows 8 then I can install Ubuntu 14.04 and Bob's your Uncle.

Well, apparently she "fixed" whatever the problem was on her Windows 8 box but it's just a matter of time before something else goes wrong since she never does updates to anything and IE is wide frickin' open with a new Zero Day that they've found.
    I've tried to get her to at least upgrade to Windows 8.1 and use Firefox but nope, she just won't listen so when her system borks it'll be no one's fault but her's.
    Then maybe she'll listen and let me put Ubuntu 14.04LTS on her laptop so we won't have to go through this again.

Just Joined!
    I apologize if I'm out of line here as this is my first post.

I've been reading for a while about and I'm quite interested in installing Linux on UEFI bios systems. What video did you watch?

I am a pretty solid Windows user being a gamer, but I also love using new OS's to learn. I have recently installed Ubuntu and Mint and I love them both.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t12mxNswcfg
    This sums up in a nut shell what ya' have to do. Not really all that hard. Just need to turn UEFI off(disable it) and turn Legacy Boot on(Enable it) then set your boot order so you can go to your USB or CD/DVD drive. Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    That's what I did. Just wanted to make sure I did it right. Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk