Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm a total Linux newbie, even though I've used it on and off for a while, I still can't get to grips with it. I do like the speed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing windows on a lubuntu laptop as a dual boot

Hello,

I'm a total Linux newbie, even though
    I've used it on and off for a while, I still can't get to grips with it.

I do like the speed it delivers though on my netbook which is running lubuntu.

I'd like to dual boot into windows xp or 7, but I don't know how to add it to an existing linux installation.

any ideas?

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    You need to setup a new partition for Windows to be installed on. This will wipe out grub and you'll be forced to reinstall grub so you can see linux. Check out this link for more information: dual boot - How can I install Windows after I've installed Ubuntu? - Ask Ubuntu

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    You need to setup a new partition for Windows to be installed on. This will wipe out grub and you'll be forced to reinstall grub so you can see linux.
    I had a look at gparted but cant seem to edit the partitions when they appear.

Maybe its best just to uninstall and use windows.

I like linux... sometimes, but its a real pain to configure

I think it probably easit to instal windows, then linux, then just get a little help setting it up again?

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    I had a look at gparted but cant seem to edit the partitions when they appear.

Maybe its best just to uninstall and use windows.

I like linux... sometimes, but its a real pain to configure

I think it probably easit to instal windows, then linux, then just get a little help setting it up again?

Thanks
    Sure, that might be easier. I don't think the process that I linked you too is any more difficult, however. It will require a little learning on your end to understand the concepts behind the process, but it will be worth it.

Just Joined!
    Its easier for me I guess.
    I don't want to learn a whole new computer language if I can help it.

Linux will be fine for surfing the web due to its speed, the rest I will do on windows.
    The Xp I put in is actually flying at the moment, so that's a good sign.

Thanks though

I may need a little advice configuring a linux system if I do need to put one in

Just Joined!
    What I will ask is what is the fasted linux os?
    But also that is reasonably easy to configure so my netbook fn brightness and volume keys will work on it

thanks .

I'll ask this in another topic also as i guess ive gone off topic here a bit

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I never advise people to dual-boot their systems unless they are developing device drivers for the secondary OS in question. I much prefer to use a virtual machine for this purpose. I run Linux (my primary development platform) at work in a VM under Windows 7, and Windows at home under my RHEL (Scientific Linux) 6.5 personal workstation. Both configurations work well, and do not impact the basic system configuration and/or boot process. FWIW, I have developed drivers/kernel modules for Solaris in a Solaris-x86 VM on my workstation. Fortunately, no hardware was involved (software drivers for message-passing kernel driver). In Linux parlance, this was a character driver, not a device block driver.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Sorry rubberman, I have very little idea what you are talking about.

I managed to get windows xp, windows 7, and linux LXLE all installed, and will be using the LXLE for web browsing, and the windows OS's for most other stuff.

I am on a netbook so using a VM is not an option.

Thanks for your input, though I must admit I barely understood it !

Just Joined!
    Dont use XP as its support ended a while back and will become a magnet for viruses and security breaches.
    Best off with a win7 dualboot.
    As for linux being "hard"? perhaps you are on the wrong distro, for a windows user I suggest mint to start off with.

Just Joined!
    Hi
    I'll be using the linux LXLE for web browsing, and windwos xp/7 for other tasks.

LXLE seems reasonably light and also polished - should be ok for web browsing on the netbook.

I had a bit of trouble configuring it, but now it does what i need it to do so i will leave it alone i think !

Thanks for the ideas and input.