Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi there I am interested in trying Linux. Is there a "mini" distribution that someone could suggest that might would run as if it were a "program" under windows XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mini Distribution

hi there

I am interested in trying Linux. Is there a "mini" distribution that someone could suggest that might would run as if it were a "program" under windows XP ?
    I'm not sure how to install Linux, or even how to go about using it but I'm really eager to learn, but still want to be able to use my PC to read email and surf, and use Photoshop etc.
    Could someone suggest something ? Or could I just plunge right in ? Also, what is the best distribution of Linux ??
    Cheers !

Linux Engineer
    I suggest trying knoppix. You can boot that right of the cd into a functional linux system.

Linux Guru
    You certainly cannot run it under Windows. Remember, it is another operating system, and except if you use emulation software like VMware, they are mutually exclusive. But do as genlee says, download knoppix. It is a self-contained Linux distribution that fits on one CD. Just boot it and it won't touch you hard drive unless you ask it to. Of course, that means that you can't save anything, but it's great to try it out.
    Also, you can forget about using photoshop. Photoshop, as far as I know, only exists for Windows, so unless you can get it to work under Wine (a Windows emulator), you cannot run it in Linux. You can most certainly read your email and surf the internet, though.
    Finally, there is no such thing as a "best distribution". Different distros fit different needs. If you haven't used Linux extensively, I'd suggest using either RedHat, SuSE or Mandrake.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for all the good advice - what about a dual boot, is that possible ?

I would really like to be able to use all my graphics programs etc, but I still am really interested in learning Linux. Am I able to have a dual boot of windows XP and Linux, also are there any "issues" with XP and Linux, as I have noticed that XP has issues with just about everything, so I don't know how that would all fit into it but is it possible to have both operating systems on the machine, and choose which one I want to use on a day to day basis........
    What does that require, and will I have to format my machine to start over, any tips suggestions like that?
    Thanks so much
    momo

Linux Guru
    If a dual boot is possible? Why, of course it is, it is what most people do.

There are some things to be aware about, though. Since your XP partition probably occupies your entire hard drive, you have three options:
    1. Resize the partition. That's really the best option, but if it goes wrong, which it does sometimes, you will end up losing everything that was on it.
    2. Repartition the hard drive. That way, you'll lose everything that was on it, but at least you know that you will. =)
    3. Buy a new hard drive, install Linux on it, and keep XP on your old one. That would be the best option, if it wasn't so expensive.

If you don't use another hard drive, please note that Windows has to be installed before you install Linux. That is not a limitation in Linux, it's just that the Windows installation program will overwrite your boot sector whether you want it to or not. It is possible to restore a good boot loader such as LILO or GRUB afterwards, but it's simply easier to just install Windows first and then Linux. Be sure not to put the XP installation on the entire disk, but leave a bit of free space.

Also note that for graphics, there is The GIMP (ie. the GNU image manipulation program) for Linux. Some argue that it is better than Photoshop. I don't do graphics at all, so I can't tell.

Linux Enthusiast
    to add to that, check out my guide and you will how to set up a dual or multiboot system using linux

good luck

Just Joined!

Thanksheaps !

Thanks heapies for the guide, that's awesome!!
    I've thought about using a hard drive I've got spare, it's 10 gig and using that to install Linux on. I really don't want to partition or format my PC as I have 43 gig worth of stuff, mostly movies and photos that I don't want to back up, although I know I should....

Thanks again, that's great !!