Find the answer to your Linux question:
I made a vortexbox bootable usb. Vortexbox is headless so it installs and sets up automatically no need for a monitor (or keyboard really). I just need my computer to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

getting computer to boot from USB (no monitor only keyboard)

I made a vortexbox bootable usb. Vortexbox is headless so it installs and sets up automatically no need for a monitor (or keyboard really).

I just need my computer to boot from the USB. I have it connected to ethernet to my home network and I have my laptop running a live USB connected to the same network. I have no way of connecting a monitor to the other computer I want to use as a vortexbox server. How will I be able to get it to boot from the usb?

Can I do this over the network? Can I just press something on the keyboard what can I do?

Linux Newbie
    It depends. Older computers (say 10 or more years) did not have the BIOS capability to boot from USB. Others require you to hit a particular key during the boot sequence to be able to point the system at the USB. This is going to be tough without a monitor as you need to see what's happening and be able to check the BIOS to see if it's possible...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    It depends. Older computers (say 10 or more years) did not have the BIOS capability to boot from USB. Others require you to hit a particular key during the boot sequence to be able to point the system at the USB. This is going to be tough without a monitor as you need to see what's happening and be able to check the BIOS to see if it's possible...
    It is not that old and when it did have a monitor I was able to boot it from USB so that's a good sign. But is there not a way to control this through the network using my laptop? I can't quite remember what the button was to load the boot menu. I will try all the function keys (f1 f2 f3 etc and see how that goes)

Linux Newbie
    Borrow a monitor, set the boot priority to USB first, then it will always go there without manual intervention. Hitting a key with no monitor won't accomplish much as most options end up in a menu where you must make a further selection. If you can't see it how can you select it?

Just Joined!
    can I do anything if I connect an ethernet cable directly from my laptop to the desktop? I also have a puppy linux cd if I can use that. I think the desktop is set to automatically boot from cd if there is one

Just Joined!
    Borrow a monitor, set the boot priority to USB first, then it will always go there without manual intervention. Hitting a key with no monitor won't accomplish much as most options end up in a menu where you must make a further selection. If you can't see it how can you select it?
    well I have no one to borrow from right now maybe later this week. (forever alone) but yeah I will do that as soon as I have access to a monitor. It really sucks that my HDTV doesn't have a VGA port. Why the hell would samsung not add a vga port to the TV are they retarded? do they assume every motherboard has HDMI or everyone has time and money to get an adaptor lol

Linux Newbie
    In general, networking capability is loaded later in the boot process after the BIOS has passed control to the operating system. I've given all the advice I have on this one, good luck...

Just Joined!
    In general, networking capability is loaded later in the boot process after the BIOS has passed control to the operating system. I've given all the advice I have on this one, good luck...
    I think i got something loaded. Maybe puppy linux did boot into the RAM. The CD was spinning for a while then stopped. Now I can see the ip address I can ping it and get replies and I ran an nmap on it. All ports are closed and with the -O command it gave me
    MAC Address: 00:0E:2E:27:85:B0 (Edimax Technology Co.)
    too many fingerprints match this host tp give specific details.

this is definitely my Desktop I checked all the other devices.