Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all.. Downloaded the new Mint 17 Qiana from a recommended linux mirror. Burnt to dvd and everything went smoothly. Ran the dvd on a Dell GX260 2.6GHz / 1.3Gb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Missing Menu and taskbar in new Mint 17 Qiana installation

Hi all..

Downloaded the new Mint 17 Qiana from a recommended linux mirror. Burnt to dvd and everything went smoothly.
    Ran the dvd on a Dell GX260 2.6GHz / 1.3Gb ram and all was well except there was no menu or taskbar in the live run.
    Everything else seemed to be ok so i went ahead with the install but although the installation seems fine there is still no menu or taskbar. I was getting the 'linux has crashed - running in fallback mode' message prior to this which never went away on reboot.

There is some kind of icon where the menu should be but it does nothing.. and to the right are 4 small coloured squares which i presume are the missing icons for tasks running (& volume ctrl etc).

I invoked the terminal and tried to install the gnome menu panel but just got a not found error.. (with dvd in drive and ethernet in). Although a past assembly programmer i have almost no experience with Linux (except for my dreambox.. that is)

I can download qiana again and burn it but is there a way to fix this without a reinstall..?

thanks for any help
    rgds
    Tony

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The first question has to be which flavour of Mint did you choose?

Cinnamon, Mate, KDE or Xfce as the answer will be different based on which one.

To be honest 'linux has crashed - running in fallback mode' doesn't sound good. Could it be Cinnamon has crashed....
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

is this the machine?

for that you should choose a lightweight distro.

it is well possible that these error messages mean:
    - cinnamon has not enough memory to run
    - the proper graphic driver could not be found
    Last edited by nihili; 06-29-2014 at 10:16 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You will have better luck with Mint 17 Mate or xfce. Cinnamon requires 3D acceleration.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    The first question has to be which flavour of Mint did you choose?

Cinnamon, Mate, KDE or Xfce as the answer will be different based on which one.

To be honest 'linux has crashed - running in fallback mode' doesn't sound good. Could it be Cinnamon has crashed....
    Hi and thanks to all who replied..

I installed Cinnamon.

Searching the net i saw the fallback mode error was mentioned often and in most cases op's were saying their distro still worked fine but they got that error. Mine works fine and i can access everything using Home/Live corner or the terminal. It's just the menu/taskbar is missing.
    Cinnamon does not crash once i close the error message which only appears at boot.

@ nihili
    Yes that is the computer i'm using but mine has the spec as mentioned in my post above and does not seem slow running programs within Cinnamon. It's a spare Pc that already runs Xp but i want to experiment with Linux.
    I checked the Graphics driver is the correct one. Intel graphics seem well supported out of the box.

@ txlonghorn
    I've also tried a half size ATI 1Gb card which supports 3D acceleration with the correct drivers installed (i checked).
    Perhaps it could be a driver problem for some other system component but as yet it hasn't shown up.

I did download the MATE desktop after reading i can choose between them at login... or do i need to install MATE completely to get the benefit..?

I appreciate the input from you all and think i will try a new install first but using MATE as suggested.
    The same PC has Windows Xp as dual boot which works fine and fast enough for the applications it's used for and i was led to believe Linux was less demanding than Windows for the average user.. so i'll give it a good try first.

rgds
    Tony

Just Joined!
    Reading the Linux Mint blog minimum specs are given as follows:-

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
    512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
    5 GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
    Graphics card capable of 800600 resolution (1024768 recommended).
    CD/DVD drive or USB port

The GX260 i'm using has:-
    2.6GHz Intel P4 processor
    1.3Gb ram
    40Gb of the (80Gb hdd)
    Graphics with 1024 x 800 with 3D acc
    DVD writer & several usb 2 ports

So with this in mind it seems to exceed the basic spec comfortably

Just Joined!
    I felt it was a corrupted download and it was. Downloaded MATE from a different mirror and it installed without a hitch (whereas the first one took 3 attempts)and everything is as it should be.. menu & taskbar included.
    Running fine now

Quote Originally Posted by Z1log View Post
    The same PC has Windows Xp as dual boot which works fine and fast enough for the applications it's used for and i was led to believe Linux was less demanding than Windows for the average user..
    and so it is.
    compare unity or cinnamon based distros with windows 8, they're definitely less demanding.
    compare unity or cinnamon based distros with windows XP, they come out as bloated and heavy.
    but fortunately, and unlike windows, linux has hundreds of flavours to choose from, and many, many are truely lightweight.

Just Joined!
    It's running great now and i'm happy with the results so far.
    Just installed a few things i need and looking forward to experimenting myself and learning the system more.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Z1log View Post
    I felt it was a corrupted download and it was. Downloaded MATE from a different mirror and it installed without a hitch (whereas the first one took 3 attempts)and everything is as it should be.. menu & taskbar included.
    Running fine now
    How To: perform MD5 or SHA1 check of any file /for total newbies/ Linux and win... - Linux Mint Community

I md5sum check any download from the net as a habit so I avoid unknown problems later. It rules out threads like these.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast