Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can i have my linux box send email using an outside isp email. I have a phpp message board installed on my linux box and i want it setup ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help setting up Sendmail

How can i have my linux box send email using an outside isp email. I have a phpp message board installed on my linux box and i want it setup where if someone posts a message and i reply to them they will receive an email. My company does not have an internal email server we use our ISP email.

thanks for helping a newbie

Linux Guru
    I don't really understand why you'd like to do that? If you just go via the existing sendmail installation on the server, the mail will still reach the recipient, and look precisely the same as if you sent it via your ISP, except that your ISP's SMTP server won't be in the middle of the Received headers, but since noone cares about that, I don't see why you should. Except if you have no IP window to the outside world, but somehow I doubt that.
    You shouldn't go through more trouble than necessary.

Just Joined!

Setting up sendmail

I dont really know what to do. If sendmail will work fine that will be fine with me. My question then is how do i configure sendmail to send email. what rpm do you recommend me download.

Linux Guru
    sendmail is for sending mail. There's no configuring necessary for that. Running "sendmail recipient" will send whatever is received on stdin to "recipient".