Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
There are quite a few Linux Distros that would work or if you've got a smart phone or tablet and want the same experience on your laptop you can install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

There are quite a few Linux Distros that would work or if you've got a smart phone or tablet and want the same experience on your laptop you can install Android x86 on it. Just make sure if you go Android that you format the hard drive to fat32 with another Live USB of another Distro and don't reformat it during install. Also, you may have read it here already but I'm running Manjaro GNOME on my wife's little Acer Aspire ZG5 Netbook that has 1.5GB of RAM and it's working pretty well. Like I said, you've got a lot of Distros that'll run on that laptop so just do a bit of Distro Hopping and have some fun until you find one you like.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Linux Newbie
    So what you are saying is it is up to me to figure it out for myself, that what works for you may not work for me but linux works for you, and good luck with that?

It is kinda funny really, but guess it wastes some time. originally I posted in hope of saving some time but that did not happen so at this point its just chat. so what did android do for you?

Linux Newbie
    There are a zillion different hardware configurations out in the world today and what runs great on the computers I have may not work for you. Sorry but I do not have an Acer One D-250 so I can't tell you exactly what distro would run the best.

Now, if you want to know what runs well on a HP EliteBook 8440P, or any other computer I own , I can give you any info you need...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I guess that is the beauty of multiple choice if one does not work another perhaps will, or another. If you go that far , something is going to work come thirty cups of coffee or high voiced callers. Thus many a hobby is born as although you may have found bliss it is only as good as its end of life and you'll be compelled, need, to get a grip on the tree or a branch or two because you will eventually succumb to case modding a dead beaver

(hbalblabla)www(dot)instructables(dot)com/id/Compubeaver---%3e-How-to-case-mod-a-beaver---in-29-e/?ALLSTEPS

just dont lose it and wittle up a cadaver tool and install linux to a dead badger. if you find yourself in a pentagram doing vudu origami. RUN. RUN before that critters done animated

(hblablabla)www(dot)strangehorizons(dot)com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml

90% of the time a Distro will work with a given piece of hardware. It's that 10% that can kill ya'. I had a Dell 1501(or was it a 1502, can't really remember) that had a Broadcom wifi card that always had to have proprietary software installed to get it to work. Never had that problem with any other laptop, just that one and once I changed out the wifi card the "problem" went away.
    You don't have to install a Distro to know if it'll work or not. You can boot to it via Live USB or DVD and that'll tell you if wifi, bluetooth, ect. are going to work right out of the box or if you'll need to install extra firmware or drivers to get something to work.
    Just download an .iso of a Distro you're interested in and make a Live USB of it with UNetbootin or other tool that'll make a bootable USB stick for you and then give it a try. If it works and you like what you see then install it. If it doesn't work or you don't like what you see then move on to the next Distro that catches your fancy.
    I went through quite a few Distros (Distro Hopping is what we call it) before I found the one I'm using now. Some Distros are pretty good as working right out of the box. Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Point Linux 2.3, SolydX all work pretty well right out of the box. Some Distros are hit and miss depending on the version. Antergos 2014.05.26 didn't work with my bluetooth but 2014.06.24 did so that's when I finally moved form Manjaro to Antergos.
    Half of the fun is trying out new and different Distros to see what works. Just kick back and have some fun with it.

Linux Newbie
    Well I am certainly enjoying manjaro xfce on the netbook at the moment. Everything is working so far, a little slow to boot but fine once it is up.

@TNFrank did you install android x86? what was that like..can you use the store? can it be run from usb with persistance..that may be interesting.

@NGIB so what are you running on the HP Elitebook 8440p

I downloaded Android x86 4.4 RC1 and burned it to DVD(would have fit on a CD but I was out of those) then I did a format of my fastest 8GB USB Stick to fat32 to get it set up for the install. I put the DVD into my optical drive on my laptop and booted to it and arrowed down to where it says "install" then put the USB stick into the USB slot and gave it a few seconds to make sure it was in the system. Next I hit the Install button and selected the USB stick (sdb1) and did an actual install, not just a Live USB but it's installed like it would be on a hard drive. That way there's persistence and any apps I download to the USB stick will say put. I have a Google+ account so I have access to the Play Store and that's where I got the two OBD II apps that I wanted to use.
    All in all not ever having a smart phone or tablet it is pretty cool being able to run Android from my laptop via an install to a USB stick.

Yep, Manjaro GNOME is also working well for my wife on her little Netbook. I think anything Arch based is a good fit for a Netbook because it just seems to run a bit more efficiently then Debian based stuff IMHO.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks..ya that sounds like the best idea to install direct to usb for persistance and having access to the play store helps, perhaps I will try it later, I had seen it on distrowatch but passed as I have android devices but may be fun to try.

Have Fedora 20 w/several different desktops installed on a AAO 150-1786 ZG5 and a AAO D250-1026. The 150 has 1.5GB RAM and the 250 has 2GB. Both are dual-boot with XP. I have run many Fedora livecd/usb's that were built from scratch on them. Have run Knoppix,Android etc. Fedora is my main squeeze on the netbooks, laptops and desktops I've used for over 10 years now.

phil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2