Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi folks I am wanting very much to replace windows xp with linux on my acer aspire one d-250 netbook. These have the atom processor, 1 gig ram and 160 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Smile acer one d-250 options

hi folks
    I am wanting very much to replace windows xp with linux on my acer aspire one d-250 netbook. These have the atom processor, 1 gig ram and 160 gig hd

I am wondering if anyone out there actually has an older acer aspire one d-250 netbook with a current linux that worked out of the box..

Thanks
    Last edited by ohmy; 07-04-2014 at 12:52 AM.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmy View Post
    hi folks
    I am wanting very much to replace windows xp with linux on my acer aspire one d-250 netbook. These have the atom processor, 1 gig ram and 160 gig hd

I am wondering if anyone out there actually has an older acer aspire one d-250 netbook with a current linux that worked out of the box..

Thanks
    antiX-forum - View topic - MX-14

antiX-Linux - Browse /Final/MX-14.2 at SourceForge.net

Code:
    $ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.6.3)
               Desktop: Xfce 4.10.2 (Gtk 2.24.10)
               Distro: MX-14 Symbiosis 24 March 2014
    Machine:   System: Acer product: AOA150 v: 1
               Mobo: Acer model: N/A Bios: Acer v: v0.3310 date: 10/06/2008
    CPU:       Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB
               flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3191
               Clock Speeds: 1: 1600 MHz 2: 800 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
               Display Server: X.Org 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 8.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
               driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v:: k3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae
    Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
               driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
               driver: ath5k bus-ID: 03:00.0
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (1.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD1600BEVT size: 160.0GB
    Partition: ID: / size: 7.6G used: 2.7G (38%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 79G used: 2.3G (4%) fs: ext4
               ID: swap-1 size: 2.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 62.0C mobo: N/A
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 142 Uptime: 1:55 Memory: 360.7/994.9MB
               Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.7.2
               Client: Shell (bash 4.2.371) inxi: 2.1.7
    harry@biker:~
    $ sudo fdisk -l
    [sudo] password for harry:

Disk /dev/sda: 160 GB, 160039272960 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1         637     5116671   12  Compaq diag
    /dev/sda2             638        4462    30716280    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda4            4462        7771    26579542    b  FAT32
    /dev/sda3            7771       19458    93875827    5  Extended
    /dev/sda5            7771        8791     8193150   83  Linux
    /dev/sda6            8791        9046     2048287   82  Linux swap
    /dev/sda7            9046       19458    83634390   83  Linux
    You'll notice it dualboots with XP. I also use it for sert on motorcycle tuning which is Windows only.

How To Videos are Here
    Last edited by rokytnji; 07-04-2014 at 05:06 AM.

Linux Guru
    In case you want Arch Linux.

Or Debian Vanilla. MX14 is based on Debian by the way.

Just more info

Lastly. MX14 will be new Windows user friendly and their forum is new user friendly also with some smart linux users there also.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Thanks very much for the information links and suggestion. will try MX-14

And welcome any additional OS suggestions that should work out of box for the acer aspire one d-250 1821

Thanks

Linux Newbie
    Well..One can surmize that no one uses these older netbooks as there are no distros that work out of box on them.

I will leave it to others who install MX-14 to one to kiss and tell

Seems like a waste of hardware, the unit never got used with xp because every time I booted it, it was immediately bogged down with first windows update downloading then at the same time antivirus update downloads so I had to leave it to do its thing, I would check a couple of times and still fixing its self I would return to find the battery needing a charge so I would shut it down. after a few times it got put back in the box it came in.

guess it goes to the recycle with the popcans.

THANKS

edit..opps I may have posted in the wrong place, I notice a laptop/netbook section. will give that a go
    Last edited by ohmy; 07-12-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Puppy Slacko on a USB stick should do, I would think
    ht tp://slacko.01micko.com/download.html

Linux Newbie
    So did you download MX-14, create a bootable USB drive, and try to install? If so, what exactly are the problems you're experiencing. My ESP has been flaky lately so actually describing what's happened might shed some light on what you want from us...

Linux Newbie
    what I was hopeing to discover is a linux distro that worked out of the box on the acer aspire one d-250 1821

yes I did download mx14 however I did not want to say anything bad about it as it is a nice distro likely but did not work out of box on this netbook and I did not want to have to spend days getting every thing to work on this particular unit..install and use was the desire

one item I recall was the battery indicator in the tray indicated "50%%" when the battery is in excellent health and at 100%..solvable likely but not what I was looking for.

thus I requested out of box distros for the specific netbook

puppy is a great distro and I keep it on hand but wanted to install something a little more robust as an xp replacement

I guess what I want from you is not in my power to request as I have ask to the best of my ability for a linux distro to replace xp that works out of box on the acer one d-250 1821

I do not wish to irritate users, you do not require esp just read the request. just though someone may have this particular netbook with a current distro that just worked after install.

I will not post further threads on the subject and appologise for any misunderstandings

Linux Newbie
    As surmized this forum is not the place to ask question regarding my netbook so I shall move alone. perhaps another time and a differant issue on a differant system...perhaps reading here I can find out what members mostly use as os and common hardware. There are lots of sections and I am new (my first post) so sorry for not knowing.
    All the best

Linux Newbie
    As others may stumble across this forum as I did looking for some usefull information I can now close the thread with some

first remember that although this distro works very well for me, it may not be the perfect distro for you and I can not promise any result. I can only post my experiance. the next version of it may not work like this current one

on this particular netbook I have discovered the current xfce version of manjaro based on arch installed without issue and appears to work out of box. with a couple of exceptions perhaps I am not aware of.

found at www dot manjaro dot org

I had no issue installing to the second partition using the advanced settings of the installer and thus retain the first partition that I believe has the windows restore data. I was able to resize the second partition to make a swap file twice the size of ram. the bootloader was installed to the mbr or the /dev/sda ( drive c) and boots the os with option to choose the first microsoft partition although I did not try it yet.

The system boots by default to a login screen and I can enter the password and get the desktop. the desktop is very xp user friendly in that it looks very similar and allows menu item apps to be added to the panel or the favorites list, or you can right click select on the panel for this aswell. it includes an office equivilent and photo shop type app in addition to all common needs like browser, notepad, calc, vlc media player for movies and music, there is an alarm plugin that will use vlc to wake you up, the battery indicator appears to work correctly, it has a shut down on the panel and you can right click and add anything. xfce is very easy to use and very customizable for any thinking person.

I had to add a solitaire game and added an app called cheese that allowed use of the camera built in to the screen. I do not use it so other apps are likely available from the many apps that appear to be available in the add remove software app. It was easy to change wallpaper and the settings manager allows further detailing.

I at first did not see usb and sd cards listed in the file manager but from settings manager chose removable drives and checked to have them auto mounted and viewed on plugin and after reboot this worked.

The built in wireless works, I simply selected mine from a list of available networks and on reboot are again connected, also can right click and toggle off the network. the tray has a update available indicator and installing the available updates seems to have gone well. these are not automatic which for me allows use of the unit if needed without being nagged by updating, I can do it when I am free to do so. sound works fine so far

Also when I close the lid and reopen there is a screensaver lock screen, pressing the power button allows the password to be entered and the desktop appears as was...so this aspect of resume works fine. If there are other aspects to this feature I am not aware of them.

so as an out of box experiance I find Manjaro very good. the display looks good, sound works, wireless works, resume appears to work, app selection is good for me. although there may be other distros like this one it is the one I found and I hope the information is of value to someone.
    cheers
    Last edited by ohmy; 07-13-2014 at 03:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast