Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, was looking for a way to install linux from windows 7 without a cd or usb drive and I come across unetbootin that claimed to do this, although ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unetboodin does not see my partition

Hi all, was looking for a way to install linux from windows 7 without a cd or usb drive and I come across unetbootin that claimed to do this, although not what i thought it would be as it asks for a USB drive (contradicting) not only that but under the hard drive option it does not detect my separate partition and only detects the C drive. Am I missing something?

thanks.

Linux Newbie
    I'd give this a look:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

I don't know how many distros have Wubi support but some do. All I have ever used unetbootin for is creating bootable USB drives...

Ditto on only having used UNetbootin for making Live USB sticks. You may take a look at SUSE ImageWriter but I've only use that for Live USB sticks as well.
    "Now, what y'all wanna do?
    Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
    Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?
    9 to 5, chillin' at Hewlett Packard?"

Linux Newbie
    If you are running windows 7 and have no optical drive or free usb ports/drives and want to try linux then consider downloading a linux iso and running in virtualbox. I suggest a 32 bit option. virtualbox should be available for windows.

If you created a second partition on your drive and formatted ext2,3,4 for linux then windows will not see the partition and may not see it if it is unallocated space, meaning you would have to format the partition you created. what did you use to create the partition?

normally linux is installed to the hard drive via a install cd/dvd or via a usb stick or sometimes usb hd, even an sd card. you could even run from sd, usb and cd live or with persistance, meaning you would not require install. but with none of these you may either try virtual box( live or installed to virtualbox) or perhaps install from iso on a partition but this can get complicated so read up.

unetbootin is designed for usb sticks and allows you to install a distro for live boot or install to a usb stick. or both in many cases as many distros use installable live cd/dvd.

linux is a more robust operating system than windows with a lot more options I read below that you may be able to create a non ntfs partition and copy the iso there then create a partition for install then extract the boot info from the iso and edit the boot loader to allow boot. this sounds like what you want butI have not done this so do additional googles and good luck.

this may help get you started if you can figure it out. I'm not supposed to help
    ( sort this http:etc ) mightydreams(dot)blogspot(dot)ca/2007/09/i-am-describing-here-method-to-install(dot)html

( sort this http: etc ) www(dot)howtoforge(dot)com/install-linux-without-burning-an-iso-to-cd-dvd-use-the-iso-downloaded-to-your-hard-drive

Linux Newbie
    I just joined the forum and could not post links when responding so thought I would reoffer these two that describe installing linux from an iso downloaded to your hard drive.

this may help get you started
    Tapas Linux Blog: Install Linux from ISO image on hard disk without using a DVD ROM or CD Drive

Install Linux Without Burning An ISO To CD/DVD - Use The ISO Downloaded To Your Hard Drive | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

an easier option may be to install virtualbox to win7 and boot the downloaded iso in a virtual environment

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The purpose of Unetbootin is to create a bootable live USB drive. So, I think you misunderstood something. It does not require that you have a CD/DVD drive or bootable ISO image to create a bootable USB drive - I have been using it for years in order to create bootable thumb drives that I can travel with and use with most any system abroad, such as in a cyber cafe.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    The purpose of Unetbootin is to create a bootable live USB drive. So, I think you misunderstood something. It does not require that you have a CD/DVD drive or bootable ISO image to create a bootable USB drive - I have been using it for years in order to create bootable thumb drives that I can travel with and use with most any system abroad, such as in a cyber cafe.
    Ditto, to this. I just reread the OP's post and it seems that he's thinking that UNetbootin will install an .iso to a partition on his hard drive from the internet. Is that what I'm reading?
    UNetbootin' is made to take an .iso that you've downloaded or it'll download one for you from it's list and then place it onto a USB stick so that you can boot to it Live and then use the Distro OR install it to the hard drive from that Live Boot session.
    Of course since I've moved to Antergos, which is Arch based, I can't use UNetbootin anymore. The Distro just doesn't play well with it. But I have been using SUSE Image Writer with great success. I just have to open the GUI to it from Terminal, not a huge deal, and then pick my .iso and it'll make a bootable USB stick for me just like UNetbootin' use to do.

Linux Newbie
    I think the op was looking for a way to install linux from windows 7 without a cd or usb . thus the links

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If the ISO you burn to the thumb drive has an install option (most do), then you can select that after the thumb drive boots and it will install to the local hard drive.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I normally like to "Try It" first so I can make sure my wifi, bluetooth or anything else is going to work with the Distro. If it's a go then I'll hit the installer from that point and do the install.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast