Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
So I bought a Acer Aspire E1-572G and it has come with linpus linux (3.4.46). It has no manual or instructions on how to boot it successfully so I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer Aspire E1-572G Can't work out how to get it running with Linux

So I bought a Acer Aspire E1-572G and it has come with linpus linux (3.4.46). It has no manual or instructions on how to boot it successfully so I have been reading around on forums trying to find an answer, but to no luck.

it gives me a choice between linpus linux (3.4.46) and creating a bootable usb disk, but neither have worked for me thus far.

It shows the following pages when I start it up...

1974549_793212977374963_1213821576_n.jpg

10000316_793212980708296_1996001846_n.jpg

10000316_793212984041629_1462564527_n.jpg

I actually got these pictures from another persons post. but they are exactly the same as my problem. However, he solved the problem on his own and didn't explain how. and nobody else explained how to do it either. One guy did explain what the screens meant, but did not explain how to proceed.

It won't let me post a link to that thread, as it is on the linux.com site and I have not made more than 15 posts on this site...so can't use html links.

Please can somebody give me instructions on how to boot Linux, the laptop also has no CD drive. I've never used Linux before and would like to give it a try. And would like to also be able to use the laptop I just bought!!!

It did not come with windows.

please help... ;(

Linux Newbie
    So I assume you get the screen shown in the top picture after you boot the system? Try typing "startx" from there.

Did you buy this from a dealer? If so there should be some support...

Just Joined!
    So I tried that but it told me that command is not recogised.

I bought it online in korea from a Korean dealer and i cant speak korean T-T

Id prefer to sort it out myself if possible before dragging a korean friend into this

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Do you have a USB flash drive that is at least 1MB? If so, put it in a USB slot and select the create USB stick - see what happens. It's hard to say what is actually on the hard drive based on 3 posted pictures. If you have another computer, you can always download a mainstream distro, like Mint, and create a bootable USB drive to setup this machine from scratch. I have no idea what linpus is or if it's worth having but since it doesn't boot - it's useless...

I hope you didn't include the quotes in startx. That certainly would give you a "command not recognised" error.

Don't panic! You have booted your computer successfully. The problem is that the graphical desktop has not come up. Instead you are stuck at the command prompt. You need to find out why.

First try out some commands for bringing up the graphical interface. If startx doesn't work, try xinit. If that doesn't work, try X.

Still no desktop? Type ls /var/log. This list the logs directory, in which you should see (among other things) a file called Xorg.0.log. It will show what your computer did to try and bring up the desktop, and where it got stuck. Post this file as an attachment and we'll see what we can do.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    Yes i do have a usb stick. I will try doing that and reply with what happens.

I tried those commands just now, none of them were "found". The ls /var/log resulted in the following

Boot.log crom dmesg liveusb.log maillog messages secure spooler wtmp
    [root@localhost /]#

Whats the next step?

Linux Newbie
    I glanced at Distrowatch and it's based on Fedora and not highly thought of. The last version that used GRUB 0.97 was released in 2011.

Methinks you might be better off grabbing a modern distro and doing a fresh install...

Just Joined!
    Uhh well that sucks.

Can i ask what is a modern distro?

And how would one create a bootable usb drive?

O.O

Quote Originally Posted by emilprice View Post
    Yes i do have a usb stick. I will try doing that and reply with what happens.

I tried those commands just now, none of them were "found". The ls /var/log resulted in the following

Boot.log crom dmesg liveusb.log maillog messages secure spooler wtmp
    [root@localhost /]#

Whats the next step?
    Clearly you don't actually have a graphical desktop. It hasn't come up because it isn't installed. Someone has probably wiped it off the computer.

Although you could in theory reinstall the desktop, that's quite a task for a Linux novice and Linpus has a bad reputation anyway. It would be quicker and easier to do as NGIB suggests: download a better distro (I'd recommend Mint), put it on a usb stick and boot from that, then follow the instructions for installing it.

Check up UNetbootin on the Web for instructions on how to make your installation pendrive.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux Newbie
    You're posting here so unless you're doing it by phone you are probably using a computer, likely running Windows of some sort?

Go to Distrowatch.com and explore. There are hundreds of different distros and what I like you may hate. For a good all around distro, Mint 17 Xfce would be a good place to start. Download the ISO file and then use a program like unetbootin to create a bootable USB drive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast