Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed red hat 9 on my laptop and have tried installing Xine. I have downloaded the two packages below and simply double clicked them to install. Both ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xine installation

I have just installed red hat 9 on my laptop and have tried installing Xine. I have downloaded the two packages below and simply double clicked them to install. Both appeared to install ok but when I try to run xine nothing happens and I can't find the xine executable anywhere.

xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0.beta12.1.i386.rpm
    xine-0.9.21-fr1.i386.rpm

Have I installed them correctly ???
    Have I got the right packages ???

Thanks

Simon

Very New Newbie
    :o

Linux Guru
    Open a console and run xine from it, to see if it gives you any errors.
    Otherwise, I'd really recommend that you use MPlayer instead of Xine.

Linux Enthusiast
    check out my guide and look at the red hat 9 page, it lists all the dependencies you will need in red hat 9 for xine and mplayer as well as gaim and k3b

link is below in my sig.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Xine running

Thanks for the info I have finally got it running after learning how to install rpm's. It told me the missing packages needed to get xine running. Thanks yowwww for the package listings it gave me pointers in getting it fixed. Whats next ???

ta

simon

Linux Enthusiast
    what's next? how bout k3b if you have a burner? or mplayer? or the newest version of gaim? or check out the software page on my guide for a slew of others

glad it worked out for ya, cheers!

Just Joined!

K3b

Think I'll give K3B a try

Why Mplayer instead of Xine ??

ta

simon

Linux Enthusiast
    both have their advantages, some people like xine, some like mplayer, I tend to prefer mplayer, but with both offering fairly new releases, they are close to equal now. I have installed and running well on my red hat 9 system using the files I have listed on my site. My k3b has all the features it could possibly have too. If you get those files listed and install them properly, then you should be set for a long time.

Linux Guru
    Maybe you aren't like me and therefore prefer GUI programs. In that case, I guess Xine is for you. If you were to ever repent, though, learn to use the shell properly and discover its advantages, then do check out MPlayer. And, I'm not sure about this, but I think MPlayer is a lot faster.

Just Joined!

Installing xine on fedora6, 8

I am a newbie but managed to successfully install xine player in fedora core 6 and fedora 8. Ive posted the details on my personal portal located at xine player for Fedora 8 | Fedora 8 screen shots | Fedora 8 dvd hope that would help