Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Is there any software out there (except norton ghost) that allows you to copy a linux partition into a another partition. I want to copy my SUSE 9.2 into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Copy image of partition to another partition

Hi,

Is there any software out there (except norton ghost) that allows you to copy a linux partition into a another partition.

I want to copy my SUSE 9.2 into another computer i don't want to waste time configuring it and i just want to have my SUSE replicated onto the computer.

If i do that could the partition that i copy to be smaller or larger than the original partition

Linux Engineer
    the partition space doesnt matter, as long as the image fits into the new partition...
    as for copying the ghost of a machine to another, Norton Ghost in a great tool... (even if you said without it)

Is it a ghost? or you simply want to copy all file from one pc to another...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux has several tools to do it. I think mkisofs (by means of a cd burning program if you want a gui) is a good option . Tar and dd are other tools you could use. Even a normal copy could be fine.
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by puntmuts
    Even a normal copy could be fine.
    Not quite, a normal copy would screw up the symlinks. You'd have to use the -a option.

Just Joined!
    what's the dd option and mkiso but isn't and iso for a cd
    then how would the iso be put into a haddrive.

Linux Engineer
    You could probably get away with this:
    dd if=/dev/hda1 of=something.img
    Of course you'll need to replace /dev/hda1 with wherever your partition is located. Check the man page for more info.

Just Joined!
    ok then how to unrip the image out and put it into the other partition

Linux Engineer
    dd if=something.img of=/dev/hda1

All these tools come with very good manual pages. Try reading those first before asking questions. To learn more about man :
    Code:
     man man
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    how to boot to the partition after succesuly transfering the image to hard disk partition using the following command.

dd if=something.img of=/dev/hda1

Generally installation of linux, installs either grub or lilo to boot to the partition. I think,we should use boot sector of this partition but i dont know how to link to the boot loader. can anybody help me?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast