Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Well, I've tried everything (various distros, 32 and 64 bits, with windows installed first, without windows installed at all, with BIOS in UEFI and legacy mode, you name it). Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux won't install on new PC

Well,

I've tried everything (various distros, 32 and 64 bits, with windows installed first, without windows installed at all, with BIOS in UEFI and legacy mode, you name it). Linux just won't install

Actually, wait! I am lying. I did manage to install an old version of Linux (Kubuntu 12.04), albeit I couldn't update/upgrade it cause it gave me continuous crashes and errors. Actually, Xubuntu also installed but it messed up my booting thingy and I couldn't log onto Windows after that.

But anyway, the new versions of Linux that I tried (Mint 17 Xfce 64 bits, PCLinuxOS KDE MiniMe 64bits, Deepin 2014 64 bits, even Kubuntu 14.04 64 bits) just won't install (neither from DVD or USB stick) and I have run out of ideas. It's true that I didn't try with the newest (32 bits) versions of the distros, but I wanna use a 64 bits linux. After all, that's why (among others) you buy a new PC: to be able to use the darn newest things on your new PC. If I wanted just a linux I'd just download puppy or something else that (probably) works and go with that.

So yeah, sorry for getting so fired up, but I really am clueless about what I should do to make the linux work. Oh, I forgot to say what happens when I try to install linux (ANY linux, well, the ones I tried actually).

So, here's how things went: I insert the DVD/USB stick, the main menu appears, I click on "install Linux" (or whatever the command is), it loads the logo (for Mint I mean, for Deepin2014 it just wouldn't load the logo, actually it just wouldn't load the menu itself, it just froze at the first screen, the one with 1 line of text that I don't remember what it says).

Only PCLinuxOS installed and without any issues, BUT only for the first time I installed it (and while Windows 8.1 was already installed) but it messed up my booting thingy and then I couldn't log onto Windows. The second and third time I tried to install PCLinuxOS again it wouldn't even finish installing. It would just "freeze" (not the computer, but the installation itself, it would just remain stuck on "downloading packages" or something like that) and then I had to manually restart the PC, after which everything went BLACK. No being able to choose how to boot my PC, no Windows in sight, no anything. Just a stupid "grub error", or "grub escape", or "grub rescue" line of text and that's all. After which I'd have to re-insert Windows 8.1 DVD again and go through the whole format HDD / install OS process again. And I've been doing this thing for the last 48 hours and I'm frustrated, and tired of all this BS, and whatnot. After 2 days of trying everything that I knew about putting a simple Linux Mint, or any Linux actually that I wanna install (cause I don't like all of them) I just put the damn Windows 8.1 again (which installed in under 30 minutes btw, and that includes formatting 400 GB of HDD, too) and here I am crying on Linux forums about my (or my computers) inability to install Linux.

Anyways, does any of you have any clue about what might be wrong? I doubt there is a hardware issue because doze works flawlessly everytime I install/use it. More likely there is a BIOS or why not, a 32/64 bits issue. I could eventually try a couple of 32 bits distros and see how this turns out, but I'm waiting for your green line and suggestions first before ruining 2-3 more DVDs (I already wasted about 10 of them so far).

So anyway, please do help if you know what might be wrong! I am really tired of these things, and I wanna have a Linux up and running today (Mint 17, or Deepin1014 preferably, but I could also go with Kubuntu).

My MB is Gigabyte H97M-D3H if I remember correctly and if you need to know (in order to check the BIOS). Anything else you need to know just tell me!

Thanks and awaiting for your suggestions

PS: Yes, I also enabled CPUID limit in BIOS that was supposed to make Linux/Unix based systems work. Still didn't help.

First thing, don't try to just install it before yo first boot to the live system and give it a try. That way you can turn on your wifi, check to see if your bluetooth is working if you have it and give the op system a little look at first. Then you move to the install part. As long as you have secure boot disabled and legacy boot enabled there really should be no problem in getting a Linux Distro installed.
    Anyway, like I said, boot to to the Live system first and make sure things are working, turn on your wifi so you can do updates and downloads during install because many Distros need that or they'll fail to install.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Just Joined!
    Uhm, I don't have WiFi... I think. Also, secure boot?? I don't know what that is

As for the live system I don't think I used it. Wait, I did! I used it once with Mint and it worked (in the way that I could see my desktop and navigate around). But then, when I went on to install Mint everything froze.... as usual

EDIT: I found out what "secure boot" is and I disabled it (it was enabled), then inserted Mint 17 Xfce, Antergos and Deepin 2014 (all of them 64 bits obviously). It made no difference. Everything just f...cking freezes after displaying the logo.

The hell with this. I go download kubuntu 14.04 and another distro (don't know which one yet) for 32 bits and try those 2, too. And if still doesn't work.... well, I won't quit trying to install Linux, but I'm gonna be very mad at my "new shiny computer"

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    First thing, don't try to just install it before yo first boot to the live system and give it a try. That way you can turn on your wifi, check to see if your bluetooth is working if you have it and give the op system a little look at first. Then you move to the install part. As long as you have secure boot disabled and legacy boot enabled there really should be no problem in getting a Linux Distro installed.
    Anyway, like I said, boot to to the Live system first and make sure things are working, turn on your wifi so you can do updates and downloads during install because many Distros need that or they'll fail to install.
    Last edited by rayden; 08-10-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: give more details

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    You will likely have to change some of your bios features in addition to disableing secure boot for example disable fast boot, set windows 8 features to other os and set boot mode selection to legacy. if you want to dual boot in uefi mode then you will need to select an os that has that feature and use a differant method for install and additional changes to bios features.

this may help

Seven ways to set up multi-booting with Windows 8 and Linux | ZDNet

Linux on UEFI: A Quick Installation Guide
    rayden likes this.

Just Joined!
    Actually ohmy, that's EXACTLY what I did (among other things, like setting all 6 SATAs to hot-pluggable, and by choosing RAID instead of AHCI, and by setting booting mode to UEFI everywhere I could set it, and other things that I don't remember of) and I finally made Mint 17 Xfce install (Deepin still didn't install though, and I didn't try Antergos as it was getting late and needed to go to sleep). But anyway, after I finished installing Mint I was asked to remove the DVD and restart the machine (actually, I was told by the installer that IT will restart the machine, but it never did). Well, I did remove the DVD but as I said, the restart never came and I manually pushed the restart button after which I couldn't log onto ANY OS (W8 or Mint) anymore.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and for the links. I didn't click on them yet cause I wanted to reply to your post, but rest assured I will read them thoroughly and see where I went wrong and how I can fix this new problem (the booting).

And speaking of booting, do you have any idea what I can do to salvage my PC? I don't mind removing Mint and putting it back again, or putting another distro IF this restores my Windows and keeps it intact (currently, like I said, I can't log into Windows either)?

Also, here's how I installed Mint (in case it might help you to give me a solution):

1) insert DVD, click on "install linux mint", then wait about 3-4 minutes for the liveCD to show my desktop, along with the install icon
    2) Chose "something else" when asked how I want to partition the HDD (I had Windows8 installed so obviously I didn't want to go with Mint's recommendation and install Linux onto the entire partition, wiping out everything that was on my hybrid HDD)
    3) I then partitioned as follows:

- dev/sda1 - small 300+ MB partition created automatically by Windows 8 when I installed it
    - dev/sda2 - Windows 8 NTFS partition
    - dev/sda3 - Entertainment NTFS partition (contains all my entertainment folders, like games, music, movies, pictures, etc.)
    - dev/sda4 - not sure whether it exists but if it does, it's the optical drive (DVD-Rw)
    - dev/sda5 - Business (NTFS again?? I don't remember) partition containing.... my business stuff

So, these were already created when I ran Mint installer and partitioner. And this is what I did to Mint:

- dev/sda6 - / (root) ext4 primary partition (20 GB)
    - dev/sda7 - swap partition (10 GB)
    - dev/sda8 - /boot ext4 primary partition (300 MB)
    - dev/sda9 - /home ext4 logical partition (200 GB if I remember correctly)
    - free space - 200 GB or so

Now, I don't know what I did wrong (or didn't do at all) but it seems that this partitioning setup messed up the bootloader. Oh, btw, I had one more setting below the partitioning menu that asked (sorry I don't remember the exact words) where I want the bootloader to be installed, or something like that. And I chose dev/sda8 (the /boot partition that is).

I also need to mention that I had no idea whether I should choose /boot or "efi boot partition" option as a mounting point (I went with the standard /boot). I mention this because this little setting could be responsible for the failure of the bootloader. Also, I don't remember precisely, but I think I set BIOS to boot in UEFI mode.

This is all I remember unfortunately. If, based on this info, you can help me fix the bootloader (or whatever's responsible for the failure of my PC) I'd be very thankful.

John

Quote Originally Posted by ohmy View Post
    You will likely have to change some of your bios features in addition to disableing secure boot for example disable fast boot, set windows 8 features to other os and set boot mode selection to legacy. if you want to dual boot in uefi mode then you will need to select an os that has that feature and use a differant method for install and additional changes to bios features.

this may help

Seven ways to set up multi-booting with Windows 8 and Linux | ZDNet

Linux on UEFI: A Quick Installation Guide

Linux Newbie
    I am a bit sleepy at the moment but it looks like you installed fine but the bootloader is messed up..I seem to be thinking that grub makes an entry to the efi boot partition so perhaps you are right and it should be /efi rather than /boot and you are in efi boot mode..better read some...but looks promising

you will likely find this helpfull

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...e_boot_manager
    rayden likes this.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the links pal. I can't read through them at the moment since I am at work, but once I get home (in about 5 hours) I promise to read them top to bottom. I am pretty tired of this Linux installing saga and want to get over with it ASAP and enjoy my new shiny computer

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmy View Post
    I am a bit sleepy at the moment but it looks like you installed fine but the bootloader is messed up..I seem to be thinking that grub makes an entry to the efi boot partition so perhaps you are right and it should be /efi rather than /boot and you are in efi boot mode..better read some...but looks promising

you will likely find this helpfull

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...e_boot_manager

Unless you're running multiple hard drives you don't need to set your BIOS to Raid, set it at AHCI for a single hard drive.

Just Joined!
    I won't lie: I never knew what RAID is. But being so desperate to make linux install I had no problems fiddling with that thing

Anyway, I only have one disk (a hybrid SHDD Seagate at 930 GB) so I guess I shouldn't worry about RAID indeed. Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Unless you're running multiple hard drives you don't need to set your BIOS to Raid, set it at AHCI for a single hard drive.
    Last edited by rayden; 08-11-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to add all the info in one go

The Wiki can have a lot of good info(and sometimes not so good info,LOL) so here's a little primer on RAID.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Set your hard drive to AHCI, Disable Secure Boot, Enable Legacy Boot and if you really want to Run Linux then dump Windows all together by booting to a live USB/DVD and formatting your hard drive to ext4 to get rid off all that nasty Windows crap then do an install of your Linux Distro of choice and live a happy, virus/malware free life.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast