Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

fail to discover wireless card

Hi all...

I've posted this in a couple of places and I get back an answer that I need the proper firmware, that I believe I have. Part of it is that I placed it under the title of 'wireless fails to work'. I have a number of drivers and they will load, manually, but no wifi.

This installation is different as it appears the installer does not detect the wireless device. Even so you can install the driver, still doesn't work and when you re-boot, the driver is not in the kernel. Every time I've inserted a working module, it retains it for the next re-boot, but not here.

I have searched all of the logs and can find no reference to the kernel even finding the hardware. The curse of this is that you can see it with lspci, as being a Atheros AR9565 chip-set.

Some has advised that lspci reads from a file on the system, built by the installation program. This conflicts with there is no information about the firmware failing to load or that it's even required.

What I think I need is some way to confirm that the installation program did or did not find the find the Atheros chip-set hardware. The only way to prove it did not is to see some type of warning or failure in one of the log files. It did find the Ethernet connection, which required a firmware package.

So if I assume that it did not find the hardware, what do I do next? There must be some way to proceed that will help me correct the problem. Any suggestions? I've got firmware, but no information about how the modprobe command inserts it and how it handles the information.

Such as, what if I insert a module that has no relevance to the hardware, what happens? What is the difference..

So thanks to everyone and I hope I will get enough information to make this work properly.

Jack

Which Distro are you using? I've found a couple Distros that don't have wireless support "out of the box" like Debian and older versions of Kali Linux but once I've connected to an RJ-45 and done the install they pick up the necessary drivers/firmware during the install.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

TNFrank, thanks for the reply... I've used Debian for a couple of years now and it doesn't seem to have a problem, at letting you know it can't find the firmware. And that's exactly my problem, is that it does not report a device with no firmware. As far as I can tell the OS doesn't seem to know that the hardware is there, except that lspci shows it existence. So where does it get it's information?

Do you know if lspci looks in some file and extracts information out of it for the interconnection to the PCI interface? If that's how it works, then it must be detecting it. But it's dropping the ball somewhere if that's true. It also seems that you can load any module, even if the hardware is missing and there is no notification that the hardware is missing or some other error message. I'm running 3.2.0-4-amd64 on both machines and it has no problem with my wireless card (TP-Link, I believe) detection and installation of the firmware. Every time I've loaded the correct hardware, it picks it up next time I boot, this is not happening here.

The firmware is not the problem, I don't think. If the OS doesn't know the hardware is there what kind of error messages should I expect to see? I'd like to keep the information directed at confirmation that it knows about the WiFi hardware. If lspci picks it up from a file created during setup, then it must have detected it. If so, why doesn't it advise me of no firmware for the device? None of the logs I've looked into have any kind of error message along these lines.

Suggestions would be great, but I'd like to keep them directed and not another discussion about firmware. I'll find the firmware if I can acknowledge that the OS knows the hardware is there.

Thanks

Jack

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    first try using a live cd distro like ubuntu or manjaro, usually live cd can detect a variety of devices

Point Linux 2.3 has always been great at playing nice with any wifi or bluetooth hardware that I've had. Make up a Live USB or DVD of it and boot to it to see if it'll see your wifi card. Also, I know you've probably already checked it but I'll mention it anyway, did you check to make sure that you've not disabled your wifi via hardware switch? There's been a couple times where I've accidentally hit the wifi switch on my laptop and disabled it and not been able to connect until I figured out what I'd done.

Point does not do that well with WiFi. Neither my HP 8440P with Intel hardware nor a Toshiba T135D with Ralink hardware has WiFi OOTB with Point. Yes, if I felt like connecting an RJ-45 cable I could probably get it working but I refuse to jump through hoops to fix something that works in 95% of distros.

To the OP, what distro are you trying to get working? Exactly what hardware are you using? Since lspci sees your hardware the problem is the kernel is not using the correct driver or the driver itself is not working well...

I've had good luck with Point Linux 2.3, it even found a Broadcom b43 card in one of my laptops that I had. I guess it depends on the card. Manjaro has also worked well for me so far.

I will see about a live Point Linux 2.3 evaluation and see if it sees anything the others didn't . I now think the OS found it but didn't have the "Vendor" or "Product" numbers available. So it's resolve was to just log that information and continue.

If something like this happens and the OS doesn't know what the item is, how is it supposed to know how to install the firmware and drivers for the device? This seems an obvious question, doesn't it? From my dealing with insmod, it seems it will install anything, until a reboot, at which time it knows if the added module did in fact find a home so to speak. I know I inserted a module, supposedly for that chip-set and nothing happened and after reboot that module was not in the kernel.

You know I would think that all of these variances of Linux would have some means of getting together and keeping each other up to date on things like the wifi.

Thanks, I hope to be able to let you know soon about Point working or not... Thanks for your time (all of you) as I know it takes a lot of time to deal with this type of stuff. I don't think Linux would have grown like it has without people like you. I try to go back and assist if I can, since I know the boat they are in!

Thanks again...

Jack

Without a confirmed md5sum check of downloaded linux iso, A live session terminal readout of,

Code:
    lspci -knn
    Code:
    dmesg | tail
    report as well as a

Code:
    uname -a
    and

Code:
    cat /etc/issue
    report, not much can be said by me on this thread.

Opinions are like skin. Everybody wears one.
    I'll keep mine to myself, (except for chromebooks)
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

-->
    I'm not mr wizard with scripts, but I copied your requests and produced the output you requested. The first entry is the script itself, then all the rest of the queries.

Code:
    ******** cat wifi.out ******************************************************

echo -e '\n******** cat wifi.out ******************************************************\n' > wifi.out
    cat wifi.sh >> wifi.out
    echo -e '\n******** lspci -knn ******************************************************\n' >> wifi.out
    lspci -knn >> wifi.out
    echo -e '\n********* dmesg | tail *****************************************************\n' >> wifi.out
    dmesg | tail >> wifi.out
    echo -e '\n********* uname -a *****************************************************\n' >> wifi.out
    uname -a >> wifi.out
    echo -e '\n********* cat /etc/issue *****************************************************\n' >> wifi.out
    cat /etc/issue >> wifi.out
    echo -e '\n********* Done! ****************************************************\n' >> wifi.out

******** lspci -knn ******************************************************

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation ValleyView SSA-CUnit [8086:0f00] (rev 0e)
    	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:089d]
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation ValleyView Gen7 [8086:0f31] (rev 0e)
    00:13.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation ValleyView 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:0f23] (rev 0e)
    	Kernel driver in use: ahci
    00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation ValleyView USB xHCI Host Controller [8086:0f35] (rev 0e)
    	Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
    00:1a.0 Encryption controller [1080]: Intel Corporation ValleyView SEC [8086:0f18] (rev 0e)
    00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation ValleyView High Definition Audio Controller [8086:0f04] (rev 0e)
    	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port [8086:0f48] (rev 0e)
    	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation ValleyView PCI Express Root Port [8086:0f4a] (rev 0e)
    	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
    00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation ValleyView USB Enhanced Host Controller [8086:0f34] (rev 0e)
    	Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation ValleyView Power Control Unit [8086:0f1c] (rev 0e)
    00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation ValleyView SMBus Controller [8086:0f12] (rev 0e)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 10)
    	Kernel driver in use: r8169
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0036] (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc Device [11ad:0642]

********* dmesg | tail *****************************************************

[58287.439819] input: Kensington Computer Products Group Orbit Wireless Mobile Trackball as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2.3/1-1.2.3:1.0/input/input12
    [58287.440640] generic-usb 0003:047D:8002.0002: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Kensington Computer Products Group Orbit Wireless Mobile Trackball] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.2.3/input0
    [58294.546688] usb 1-1.2.3: USB disconnect, device number 8
    [58312.644807] usb 1-1.2.3: new low-speed USB device number 9 using ehci_hcd
    [58312.744900] usb 1-1.2.3: New USB device found, idVendor=047d, idProduct=8002
    [58312.744924] usb 1-1.2.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    [58312.744941] usb 1-1.2.3: Product: Orbit Wireless Mobile Trackball
    [58312.744956] usb 1-1.2.3: Manufacturer: Kensington Computer Products Group
    [58312.750400] input: Kensington Computer Products Group Orbit Wireless Mobile Trackball as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2.3/1-1.2.3:1.0/input/input13
    [58312.751549] generic-usb 0003:047D:8002.0003: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Kensington Computer Products Group Orbit Wireless Mobile Trackball] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.2.3/input0

********* uname -a *****************************************************

Linux debian-laptop 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.60-1+deb7u3 x86_64 GNU/Linux

********* cat /etc/issue *****************************************************

Debian GNU/Linux 7 \n \l

********* Done! ****************************************************
    The Kinsington stuff is my wireless trackball, that is in a USB slot.

Hope this brings something to mind. Thanks for the help, I don't know what many of us would do without people like you assisting us...

Jack