Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

linux server vs linux desktop kde/GNOM etc for choosing development

Hi all
    1).i am thinking if i install Linux server on my laptop will it work good, RAM 2GB , HDD 320GB & Processor Intel 2.2 GHz.
    2).Which linux server for faster development i feel ubuntu but then i think Debian is great but then i think opensuse... please guide.

3). if i install say opensuse or debian server then can i do all that i can do with desktop version like install audio/videos/editing programming etc. will it all work good for development also on server.

Thanks & best regards.

Hi

In reality, the only difference between a linux server and a desktop are the applications you install in top of the linux kernel. Some server-oriented distros like Debian and CentOS are a bit behind the Desktop distros in the version of their kernels, this to ensure stability. So, you may install any distro you want/like but I would go with Debian or CentOS mainly because the quantity of documentation and applications available on their repositories

Good luck

thanks for reply,

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    -->
    I'd say use a desktop version for development and choose what works well with your hardware. I wouldn't choose a fringe distro - but anything that has a good support team and is based off a main distro and updated frequently should do. My main development laptop is Xubuntu and dektop is OpenSUSE. I've used others and been quite happy with them as well.