Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problem when watching online videos on opensuse 13.1

hi guys

i have one problem in opensuse 13.1 when watching online video, its running videos buffering good but after few minutes video stops on screen but sounds are coming but graphics on videos hangs then i resize it then it starts from that point after few minutes same problem occurs that video graphics hangs but sounds keep coming and timeline moving forward. what i am now thinking on windows any type of videos are running but on opensuse whats this problem please let me know how to solve it.
    or opensuse killing my graphics card generating very much heat.

What payer do you use ? ffplay ? Vlc ? something else ?
    Have you tried a different player ?
    Does the video run fine on another OS ? (is the clip possibly corrupt)

Linux Guru
    online video - i guess that means flashplayer.

so it's not happening with normal, offline video files?

and of course you tried with different videos?

one thing you can try is to force e.g. youtube to use html5 instead of flashplayer simply by uninstalling flashplayer.
    if the problem persists you know it is not flashplayer related.
    (you can easily install flashplayer again after that)

another thig you can try, open a terminal, type "top" and enter and leave the terminal window open.
    now start playing some online video and reproduce the problem. now look in the terminal window if something is eating your resources.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. Make sure your browser and plugins are all up-to-date.
    2. Check that your flash player plugin is also the latest.
    3. Make sure you video adapter driver is up-to-date.

If you are running an nVidia video adapter, then you need to blacklist the open source nouveau driver and install a current version of the proprietary nVidia driver, which you can download from the nVidia web site. You will have to switch to run-level 1, 2, or 3 first ("telinit 3" from the command line running as root). I have had similar problems with nouveau in the past. At least the current crop of nVidia drivers support the DKMS system so when the kernel changes, the driver will be rebuilt automatically on reboot; however, you first need to make sure that the DKMS package is installed on your system.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    2. Check that your flash player plugin is also the latest.
    Quote Originally Posted by adobe.com
    Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform.
    ...and that was years ago. windows is on version 15.
    so, not much to update there.
    but it kind of explains why linux users are having rather more than less problems with flash recently.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Yes, Flash 11.2 is the last major version supported on Linux, but Adobe has been keep it updated with security and other patches. Make sure that you use Yast or go to Adobe to verify that it is up-to-date.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    -->
    i just learned something new today:
    The packages "flashplugin-nonfree", "pepperflashplugin-nonfree" provide the latest available flash players in the NAAPI and PEPPER versions. However, these packages only provide a manual update mechanism and don't update automatically when "apt-get dist-upgrade"'ing.
    i'm not sure how this applies to opensuse, but here's the thread anyway.