Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problem aparently caused by an update, how to chase it down?

Hi again,

I did an update, (notified of an update and used the update to do so) and after a reboot, found that I cannot seem to run the 'System Setting' application. It starts up, as indicated below the main screen, but never completes, just 'goes away'. I don't know what or if there are other problems.

Any one have any idea on how to chase this down and report the related bug? Or do I just wait until they fix it on their own?

How do I find which modules were replace (or undated) when I did the update? Is it in aptitude?

Thanks

Jack

P.S. if this should have been posted elsewhere, please let me know.

Linux Guru
    What distro and desktop?

It gtk, I believe and it's debian (3.16-0.bpo.2-amd64) It is a back port, could that cause problems? I know it's not KDE. I was looking for the file in /etc that gives the actual version, but don't seem to be able to find it.

Jack

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    If it's gnome (gtk) then you can try typing gnome-control-center at a command line and see what errors get printed before it quits.

Did as you stated, and I'm not sure what it means... Looks like some kind of bug.

Code:
    root# gnome-control-center
    Unrecognized deviceID 0x412

(gnome-control-center:30444): Gdk-WARNING **: The program 'gnome-control-center' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'GLXBadContext'.
      (Details: serial 157 error_code 171 request_code 154 minor_code 6)
      (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
       that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
       To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
       variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
       backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

root#
    Where would I submit this to ensure a reasonable result? A bug in what program? The control-center or ?

Also, is here a quick command line option that will change it to something I don't have to deal with every minute, as that what it's currently set for?

Thanks

Jack

Is there something I can do to bypass this error? It's really a drag to move the mouse every minute!

Jack

Linux Guru
    There's lots of things it could be. You could run 'lspci -nn' and see if you can see device id 0412. Perhaps there's a driver problem?

You'll need to do some searching to see which error/bug reports are applicable to you and your system.You'll find different searches will give results similar.
    i.e.
    Gdk-WARNING **: The program 'gnome-control-center' received an X Window System error.
    One link from that search:
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=733187

How about:
    gnome-control-center GLXBadContext
    or
    gnome-control-center GLXBadContext Unrecognized deviceID 0x412

Debian User Forums ? View topic - Wheezy 7.6/amd64 and Intel hd4400 (haswell) driver

Thanks... I ran the lspci and got the same results as in the link you provided. I'm running on '3.16-0.bpo.2-amd64', but my problem is that I've been using this since I built this machine and it has just recently raised it's ugly head. I noticed the first entry was Dec, 2013, almost a year ago. Not sure I'm clear if that is a fix or not at the end of the link as now the version is higher. As I'm running a backport.

I guess, I don't know what to do at this point. I also don't know where you came up with the links you provided, did you just google the error? And yes my video is on the CPU so i don't have a card (hence haswell).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jack

Linux Guru
    I'm just about to take off for the weekend Jack, but these are the texts I searched on:
    Gdk-WARNING **: The program 'gnome-control-center' received an X Window System error.
    gnome-control-center GLXBadContext
    gnome-control-center GLXBadContext Unrecognized deviceID 0x412

-->
    Well, thanks for posting this before you took off. Have fun. I will try and see what I can do while you are away. I was hoping that someone could clue me in on a command line to change the timeout. It's a drag having to push the mouse around every minute! Thanks for your help..

Jack