Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to install windows in second hard drive, first one installed linux

Hello everyone
    I am new member of this forum. I have question about how to install windows in second hard drive, the primary hard drive I did linux installation.
    Someone told me I can disconnect linux hard drive and install window on second but Im not sure this method is working because I have a lot of important information save in linux hard drive. Anyone can help me with this? Thank you very much

Hi Tompham. Welcome to Linux Forums.
    Because Windows is so important it expects to be installed on hdd 1 so you need to temporarily unmount or disconnect the first hdd load windows and then re-connect or remount the first hdd. You then have to amend grub to include chainloading Windows.

How to install windows in second hard drive, first one installed linux

Hi peteh

Thank you for your suggestion. so i m able to disconnect linux hard dirve without any problem? I will follow your direction. Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi Tompham, welcome to the forum! You also have the option of adding Linux to the Windows bootloader using a free app called Easy BCD (assuming it's Windows 7 or 8 you're using). Once you've completed your Windows install & reconnected the Linux drive, boot back into Windows, download & install Easy BCD, select Add New Entry then Linux, select Grub 2 and Add Entry. The app will automatically find Grub and will add it's own default name which you can then edit to the name of your distro using the Edit Boot Menu option. I use this to have all OS on my machine listed on one screen (4 Windows and 4 Linux).

Let us all know if you need any more help.

-->
    Hi martinfromdublin
    Thank you for your suggestion. I did solve the problem
    Last edited by tompham; 10-18-2014 at 02:58 AM.