Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How can I install RPM if "rpm:command not found?"

OK, so we have a virtual Linux based (Wind River) appliance that is only "supported" in ESXi, but we're a Hyper-V shop and would LOVE to not have to keep this one ESX box for a single small appliance, so we're trying to migrate it. It's not a super critical production device, it's actually more for overflow type scenarios that we're not likely to run into often, if ever, but the boss insisted that we have it available in case some hardware completely crashed we would have some services available.

In trying to migrate to Hyper-V, I'm almost all the way there, but I can't seem to get the NIC recognized. When I do ifconfig, the only device showing is the lo (loopback). I believe that if I can install the Linux Integration Services off the ISO from Microsoft, which are RPM packages, then this will work, but I keep getting this "RPM: command not found" message. I'm by no means a Linux admin, just dabbled here and there with some stuff, but that's about it. I'm trying to figure out how I can install these RPM packages if I don't have the RPM command available, and I've not had much luck so far.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Linux Guru
    It might be somewhere not in the path. I think Wind River uses yum so you could try:
    Code:
    yum install <your_rpm_here>
    or search for rpm
    Code:
    find / -name rpm 2>/dev/null

yum is not available either (command not found)
    When I type in that second command, the returned value is "/var/lib/rpm"
    when I go to that location, I see a bunch of folders but that's about it. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Contact the appliance manufacturer?

The only other thing is to see if build tools are installed (make, gcc, autotools etc.) and try to build rpm from source.

The mfr won't touch it, in fact our local support vendors won't mess with it if it's not in ESX. It's a really simple device, not hard to rebuild etc, so I get why we don't want to waste an entire server to host this virtual appliance that essentially never get used except in an emergency. Doesn't look like any of those build tools are available either. So I guess that's about it eh? No way to force RPM onto this thing?

Linux Guru
    You might try a cross-platform build of rpm I suppose. Find out what version of rpm is required and if you have a linux setup for cross-compiling do the build there then manually install on the wind river box. I have no idea the odds of success but you might look at this search for some thoughts on the subject: cross-compiling for wind river

-->
    Are you root user ?