Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Round and round in circles for hours on end

I've been trying for about two days now to install Linux Lite and I just keep hitting dead ends. Downloads failing, usb installation couldn't find initfs file system even after tryng countless different software to create usb. Create DVD image failed, searching for ways to do it clicking and downloading, trying it out and seem to come up against a problem everytime. Read thru forum to try and find solutions and just get even more confused.

Let's start with
    1) hardware -- what is the make and model PC or laptop or whatever (and its basic specs) on which you wish to install a distro? and
    2) what is your intended use of it and what are your desires for it?

An ISO burn requires something like ImgBurn for proper burning to a CD or DVD; however, check the integrity of the downloaded ISO file before burning at a slower rate (~8X speed) -- md5sum, SHA1, etc.
    3) IN SHORT -- how was the ISO image burnt?
    Last edited by sidzen; 11-11-2014 at 04:56 AM. Reason: clarity

Maybe it's time to move from Linux Lite to another Distro?
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Maybe it's time to move from Linux Lite to another Distro?
    Code:
    $ inxi -S
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.17.0-linuxlite i686 (32 bit) 
               Desktop: Xfce 4.11.6 Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
    Like Manjero?

Usually a good starting point for virgins trying linux is : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Then move on to what sidzen said. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Code:
    $ inxi -S
    System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.17.0-linuxlite i686 (32 bit) 
               Desktop: Xfce 4.11.6 Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
    Like Manjero?

Usually a good starting point for virgins trying linux is : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Then move on to what sidzen said. Just my opinion.
    LOL, I was thinking more Antergos but yep, Ubuntu and it's variants are a good place for a new user to start. The Ubuntu MATE 14.04LTS should hit any day now or you can just install Ubuntu MATE 14.10 to get your feet wet then move to the LTS at a later date.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Despite the above, there is nothing wrong with LinuxLite especially if you want to try Linux gaming. However, since names of the hundreds of distros out there are being tossed around . . .

[After giving us hardware specs, take a look at the GNU/Linux families and their respective package handlers. A good place to start, if a little indirectly, is right here at LF and techieMoe's internal tutorial entitled "How to Install Software in GNU/Linux (Originally posted by Jason Lambert)".]

. . . I would suggest taking a look at HandyLinux, myself (ask Linux geeks which distro to use and you'll receive almost as many suggestions as there are responses and you'll still be on a merry-go-round!)
    Last edited by sidzen; 11-11-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: punctuation

. I would suggest taking a look at HandyLinux, myself (ask Linux geeks which distro to use and you'll receive almost as many suggestions as there are responses and you'll still be on a merry-go-round!)
    One of my favorite things about using linux. All the different countries the developers come from. With their own take on how something should work.

Kinda like when the glory days of motorcycles 1st came out in the early 1900's.
    Choice was everywhere. indian inline 4 cylinders. Overhead cam belt drive engines. Soup can carburetors.

Then choice was stifled by economic realities.

The world to me became a dimmer place when it lost those choices.
    Here is to confusion and choices.

Linux Guru
    i guess we're talking to thin air again, but why not have a proper rant (again), so here's my 2 eurocent's worth:

Quote Originally Posted by sidzen View Post
    A good place to start, if a little indirectly, is right here at LF and techieMoe's internal tutorial entitled "How to Install Software in GNU/Linux
    really? the thread started 2006, with that sort of information you'll just confuse our poor newbie.

. . . I would suggest taking a look at HandyLinux
    i'm a bit of a fan of arpinux. stylish. personally, i don't have much use for this kind of distro, but it's been around for a while and i heard good things about it.

Just to say - don't give up, my friend! Linux is worth it!

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    Just to say - don't give up, my friend! Linux is worth it!
    +1

@rokytnji -- "Here is to confusion and choices. " +1

Also, here's to tolerance and open-mindedness!
    "All that is required for evil to triumph is for a good human to say nothing"
    _______________________________________________| Salix, Puppy & antiX