Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Multiple versions of grub in the boot menu

Hello--

I've repartioned my hard drive a bunch of times, installing and uninstalling different Linux distros. In this process, I've managed to get quite a collection of bootloaders (all gnu grub version 2.02 beta 2-9). When I first boot up my laptop, it goes into a version of grub that doesn't have anything on it anymore and just goes into a rescue shell. From my boot menu, I can get to two copies of a working grub with Mint and Windows 7, and then also a useless grub that had Arch on it and now serves no purpose.

Can I get rid of these extra bootloaders and make the one with Mint be what my laptop immediately goes into? I've looked at my boot/grub/grub.conf file from within Mint and tried update-grub, but that's been no help since doing so only effects the particular grub that I boot Mint from, which functions perfectly fine.

I haven't been able to find any info online to help with this, so I'm at a loss. I guess it isn't a huge issue since I still have access to my OSes, but it certainly is irritating. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

(Oh, and if anyone has advice for how I avoid letting this happen in the future when I inevitably install more distros, that would be awesome.)

-->
    Nevermind, I figured it out! I just had to go into my boot menu and reorganise it from there... don't know why I never thought to try that before.