Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Install Linux and always boot Windows unless i say so?

Hello all... my first post. Guaranteed il do it wrong haha.

So ive searched a bit on my question but not much joy or a little confusing. Always been a windows guy but want a go at Linux for personnel reasons. Problem is that i also have a family that uses the same computer and not really clued up on the things either.

So basically I have a 1TB hard-drive which i want to split in half ( 500GB/500GB, obviously it wont be exact because of the windows safe partition thing but windows will have the bigger half )

il install them both which isnt the problem, what i want to no is how do i keep the windows 7 bootloader so that it boots up windows straight off the button so my other family members dont get affected by my doing? ive never installed Linux before so im not actully sure what happens but ive read once Linux is installed it uses it Gnome bootloader and runs linux insted of windows.

Also another QUICK question, is it possible for windows and linux to share the same files while dual booting so it saves space from doubleing the files like music/pictures and stuff?

Thanks for reading my tedious post...

Back up all your personal files(pics, music, videos, ect.) and do a Linux Mint 17.1 MATE install and dump Windows. Trust me when I say that your family will be able to use the new OS as easily as they did Windows and without all the virus/malware/spyware junk messing with them like it does in Windows. I gave Linux Mint 17 a little test drive via live USB and after working on some Windows 7 machines over the last couple weeks I can say that it's just as easy to use and has the same general feel and even the same basic look as Windows 7 for the most part. I really don't think that saying that you have to keep Windows "for the family" is a good answer anymore in this day and age of Easy Linux Distros like Linux Mint, Ubuntu MATE or Zorin OS. Jump in Feet first and have at it and in a month's time when everyone has learned to do it "The Linux Way" you'll be glad that you did.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

Linux Guru
    we appreciate your enthusiasm, tnfrank, but it isn't what op asked for.

dear original poster, the linux bootloader is called grub. not always, but usually. grub.
    it is possible to achieve what you want (dual boot).
    you should search the wbe, there must be literally thousands of howtos on that.
    it depends a little whether your windoes uses (u)efi or not, and which windows version.

it is also possible to share files between windows and linux.
    for that you will have to arrange your partitions (another term for you to search the web) accordingly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Simple and all of mine do exactly what you want to do. Mine are partitioned about 80/20 Windows/Linux and I store all files on the Windows side as Linus "sees" it with no special effort. The latest version of GRUB has a setting to boot last OS booted so if the last OS booted was Windows - it will boot to Windows the next time as well. When you boot to Linux just make sure to boot to Windows after you shutdown to leave it "primed" for Windows.

Some folks here think Windows is evil, others just see it as another OS which has its uses...

Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    Some folks here think Windows is evil, others just see it as another OS which has its uses...
    By "some folks" I guess you mean ME and Yep, Windows and Micro$oft ARE Evil. Anytime you have to pay fee to use an Operating System and then after buying it you're limited to 3 machines that's just pure Evil in my book. Heck, even Apple has gotten on board with giving away their OS. Bill Gates has more money then he'll ever spend in 3 lifetimes so why not come on in for the win and give away Windows 10 instead of making people pay for it? After all, Windows isn't all that great of an OS anyway, it's very bloated, prone to being hacked and has all kinds of Zero Days that can be exploited. You'd think if you'd pay for an OS that it'd at least be secure but Windows is anything but secure and unless you're some kind of super user who can keep things updated and patched you're pretty much doomed if you run Windows.
    Linux is much faster, easier to use, not prone to all the viruses and malware that Windows users have to put up with and it's Free to download and use and you can put it on as many machines as you want. Nope, sorry, Windows is a "No Go" for me.
    Linux 4 Ever.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion - we all are. Just make sure it's expressed as an opinion and not absolute fact.

Linux CANNOT do everything so some folks still require Windows and that does not make us evil, stupid, or whatever other term you want to use. When someone asks how to accomplish something I try to provide a real answer rather than just say Windows is evil and it sucks. I've been running Windows a very long time and it doesn't take any real effort to keep it working well. A little common sense is all that's required. Where you get your doom & gloom perspective is a complete mystery to me. And yes, I was an IT manager for many years so it's what I did for a living.

BTW, paying for a product or service is actually what makes our economic system work. I don't work for free and I'm sure you didn't/don't either...

A little common sense is all that's required.
    And that's where we run into problems. The majority of computer users know next to nothing about their computer or how to take care of it. They simply switch it on and start surfing the net or doing other things without thinking about all the malware, spyware or viruses that they're picking up.
    In a perfect World where folks kept their updates current and scanned for stuff on a regular basis then sure, Windows works fine but for most folks it turns out to be a total nightmare. JMHO, YMMV.

Linux Guru
    Linus "sees" it with no special effort.
    i just imagined mr thorvalds having backdoor access to all our machines. wouldn't that be something.

folks, please try to remember that this thread was started by someone who wanted help with a particular problem - and not a sermon.
    [ edit: hmm, strike that - me, too, rant heaps! ]

fwiw, i, too, have windows installed and i actually boot into it once or twice a year.
    i agree with ngib: you cannot do everything with linux.
    i agree with tnfrank: microsoft is evil. i have made my choice, and it's linux.

btw, i think bill gates doesn't run things anymore and MS certainly has many, many more greedy mouths to feed.

I agree that Linux can't do everything that Windows can do. Hopefully there will come a day when software developers will build and release their software for Linux as well as for Windows and OSX.

I just recently acquainted myself with Linux because of my slow pc. Even after a fresh install and running minimal programs on Windows 7, it's no where near as fast as Linux. I am currently dual booting Window 7 and Linux Mint 17.1 MATE but am trying out Cinnamon and also Elementary OS Luna. I feel more comfortable using a more popular Distro such as Mint simply because of the amount of support available on it.

To the op. I've noticed my confidence level has increased after successfully installing Mint and the Nvidia proprietary drivers and am now more comfortable trying out other Linux Distros.

The great thing about dual booting is that you can learn Linux at your own pace without having to solely rely upon it for daily use.

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice3250 View Post
    I agree that Linux can't do everything that Windows can do. Hopefully there will come a day when software developers will build and release their software for Linux as well as for Windows and OSX.

I just recently acquainted myself with Linux because of my slow pc. Even after a fresh install and running minimal programs on Windows 7, it's no where near as fast as Linux. I am currently dual booting Window 7 and Linux Mint 17.1 MATE but am trying out Cinnamon and also Elementary OS Luna. I feel more comfortable using a more popular Distro such as Mint simply because of the amount of support available on it.

To the op. I've noticed my confidence level has increased after successfully installing Mint and the Nvidia proprietary drivers and am now more comfortable trying out other Linux Distros.

The great thing about dual booting is that you can learn Linux at your own pace without having to solely rely upon it for daily use.
    No one OS can do it all, not even Windows. For all the stuff that Windows can do it also does something else better then Mac or Linux, it picks up viruses, malware, spyware and all other manner of junk from the interweb. Being able to do it all at the price of Security is just not a good trade off IMHO. You really need to ask yourself what do you need to do. 9 times out of 10 they'll be a good, Linux based alternative if you just know what to look for.
    If you want to be secure but not think to much about it then buy a Mac. If you have older equipment and want to be secure and put in a bit of effort then Linux is a great option. If you want to "run with the herd" and also want to put in a lot of effort keeping your system up to date and keeping your anti-virus up to date and run scans once a week then maybe Windows is the OS for you but I really don't think that a new computer user or someone who's not willing to put a great deal of effort into keeping their system up should run Windows. It's just too high maintenance of an OS to slack off while running it.
    Mint MATE or Ubuntu MATE are both great places to start with and as you get more experience running Linux you can move to other Distros. My Distro of choice is Arch via the Evo/Lution AIS installer. It's fast, light weight, you have your choice of desktops and you can add the packages you want without any of the "bloat" that other, pre-packaged Distros have.
    I'm just not a fan of Windows and if something happened that I couldn't run Linux then I'd move to BSD but I'd never run Windows.