Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bootable External Hard Drive

I have searched the forum but not found the answer. I installed ubuntu 14.04.1 on to a 150G external hard drive using LiLi USB Creator. When the computer is started the boot menu can see the drive but will not boot from it. The computer is a MSI ex627 running windows 7 Home Premium.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

can u please tell me how to post new thread

When I want a bootable external hard drive I just do an install to it just like you would the internal hard drive. Just make sure you point everything at sdb(or whatever your external hard drive is)and also make sure Grub goes on sdb and then you can boot to it and run it just like it's the internal hard drive.
    You can also go into BIOS and set boot order or just watch for the f key(my Dell's are f12) to push to set a boot menu so you can select the external hard drive to boot to.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thank You. This solution worked but produced two unexpected problems-
    1 The computer used to create the external drive will only boot if the drive is present'
    2 The drive will only boot on the computer that created it.

The drive was created on a desk top computer and will be used there normally but is required to boot from a laptop when away from base.

Can these problems be o9vercome or should I purchase a very large USB thumb drive?

Thanks

Peter

-->
    Another problem has occurred. From the boot menu selecting the external hard drive does nothing. Selecting the c(winows os) drive activates the external hard drive and presents the menu for selecting which operating system to use. The external hard drive is not available no matter which op system is running.

What have I done wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Peter