Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Will I find drivers for my laptop?

I think of installing Linux.
    I have Lenovo g500.
    On the official page of Lenovo,
    I hardly find any drivers for Linux. Particularly not Lan.
    Why is it?
    Will I be able to install drivers?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Boot a live cd/dvd/usb drive and see if your lan/wifi/bluetooth works. If so (or not), run the commands "lspci" and "lsusb" to see what is installed on your system. You may need to add the "-v" (verbose) option to get more details. This will provide you with the information needed (with luck) to get your system configured properly.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I am not sure I understand.
    When I installed windows I needed to install the drivers for Lan etc, which I downloaded from their site.
    I don't see they supply downloads for Linux.
    Does that mean drivers for Linux don't exist?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Common hardware is supported by most mainstream Linux distros without extra effort. Linux is not Windows and does things differently. The only snag will be if your computer is a newer UEFI machine (did it come with Windows 8?). As mentioned, download something like Linux Mint and boot it up and see if everything works...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    -->
    Most lan, wifi, and bluetooth hardware is detected by the OS when it boots, and in most cases there will be a driver for the kernel to load. Wifi is the main exception to this, and you may have to install the proprietary driver and firmware. If your system doesn't provide a means to do that you may need to go to wireless.kernel.org to get them. You can see the hardware the kernel found on your system with the commands "lspci" and "lsusb" run in a console/terminal window.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!