Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How do I install linux to a usb from an .iso? (NOT a live usb)

So I'd like to install alphaOS (a lightweight version of Arch) onto a 64GB usb, such that any changes (files, package/application installations, etc.) are saved (written back to usb) across reboots.

I can quite easily create a live usb using something like dd, but this does not enable changes to be saved across reboots. It looks like it runs it directly from volatile RAM and stores everything there.

Run the "live" installation iso from a separate device such as another USB, a DVD, or something else and choose to install to the target USB during installation instead of the hard disk or SSD. It may help to format the target USB to whatever format (ext4, btrfs or whatever) before you begin but you don't really have to.

Installing Arch, you can install it from a working linux distro to the USB without an iso.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_Existing_Linux

But, because you want alphaOS specifically, your best bet would probably be to run the installation iso from a separate device like a CD, DVD, or another USB.
    Last edited by pissedoffuser; 12-19-2014 at 12:26 PM.

-->
    I've done actual installs onto USB sticks, not much different then doing it onto an SSD. I normally use a DVD to live boot to just to keep things simple in "sdx" land. That way I can avoid sda, my internal SSD and point the installer at sdb, my USB stick. Then just make sure everything gets installed to sdb(or whatever your USB stick is) and Bob's your mom's brother. Easy as pie.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

$spacer_open
$spacer_close