Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't install or run live cd on some computers

Tried to install Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Mint on various computers available because I'm a tech ( windows) I'm completely new to linux If the computer had a separate video card it installed if the video was build in it won't even run as a live cd . Is this a normal min requirement or am I missing something in the settings . This happened with old or newer machines . Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1960 View Post
    Tried to install Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Mint on various computers available because I'm a tech ( windows) I'm completely new to linux If the computer had a separate video card it installed if the video was build in it won't even run as a live cd . Is this a normal min requirement or am I missing something in the settings . This happened with old or newer machines . Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Bob
    I've heard that some video chips and cards cause problems when you do a graphical install. It's not that you need a card; I have an Intel onboard chip and it works just fine. In any case, the next thing to try is a text-mode install. Not all installation discs give you this option. I'm rusty on Ubuntu but they used to have two discs: the standard one which was graphics only, and a special one which had the text option. Once you have a working system, you can look for a driver for your video chip.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Linux works fine with either built-in or external GPUs, but it doesn't play nice with both installed. In such a case, such as when there is both an Intel GPU on the motherboard, and an nVidia or AMD GPU as well, then you need to go into the BIOS and disable one or the other. Myself, I usually disable the Intel GPU and let the system run with just the nVidia or AMD chip sets.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

reply back

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Linux works fine with either built-in or external GPUs, but it doesn't play nice with both installed. In such a case, such as when there is both an Intel GPU on the motherboard, and an nVidia or AMD GPU as well, then you need to go into the BIOS and disable one or the other. Myself, I usually disable the Intel GPU and let the system run with just the nVidia or AMD chip sets.
    Thanks for your response but what I have found is I tried to install in computers that only had on board video always and these computers could not run the live disc it would start and then hang in every case but if there was a real graphic card old ,new, powerful or weak then the install was easy. There must be something I'm missing . The last answer talked about text install which I'll have to research . I still found this unusual I have lots of old computers to play with and that's what happened so far

Regards Bob

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    -->
    It's possible that your system is not 64-bit capable and you are trying to run a 64-bit live DVD. You might try a 32-bit one, though some of the newer Linux systems only support 64-bit operations.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!