Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

what appropriate kernel?

After a about 10 years pause I am new to Ubuntu. The Ubuntu 14.04.1 (desktop, LST, 64bit) live-DVD worked fine on my PC (Windows 7professional, 64bit; processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II x3 445). I installed the Oracle VirtualBox (64bit) and started to install the Ubuntu but got a error message: "The kernel requires an x86-64 CPU but only detected an i686 CPU. Inable to boot - please use kernel appropriate for your CPU."

What is wrong -- how shall I proceed to get Ubuntu installed and run?
    Grateful for asap help
    Johannes69

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    In the "General" configuration page of VBox for your VM, you need to chose the correct operating system type and version, as a 32-bit or 64-bit OS. The VBox system will emulate the appropriate CPU for your needs. You can change that as needed. The Type field should be Linux, and the Version Ubuntu 64-bit.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Why don't you get RID of Windoze and install ONLY Linux?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    Why don't you get RID of Windoze and install ONLY Linux?
    Sometimes you don't have a choice. My work laptop has to run Windows in order to access the company VPN, applications, internal web sites, wikis, etc. My other option would be a Mac, but I wasn't asked when hired and I was issued a nice Lenovo Carbon notebook. With 8GB of RAM I can run CentOS in a VM very easily.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Tanks for responding. But you are only partially right - I tried what you say but it does not work. I finally found that that 64-bit requires virtualization to be enabled in BIOS. Why is that essential thing not clearly mentioned in the guids?

Nice with such super intelligent replies on a request for helpl!! Answer: (a) I need windows's programs -- windows is still the market leader; 95% of my surroundings use windows&MSO, (b) linux/ubuntu/open source is still too unstable - too much bugs, (c) linux/ubuntu is too complicate to install&configure for a non-expert, (d) the combination linux&windows gives optimum-maximum alternatives, (e) etc... Sure that you now got it??

-->
    Dude, we tried to help you.....
    not sure what bugs you're talking about, but after that sarcasm, I don't feel like helping you anymore....