Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Unable to install dual boot Linux... of any variety!!

Hey guys...

I'm sure I've managed it before but having real issues trying to install a dual boot...

I've tried Fedora 21 (both the design and Workstation spins) and Linux Mint 17(i think??? newest version anyway... downloaded at the weeked!)

I even reinstalled windows 7 cause i thought i mananged to screw up the boot record...

What happens is when it comes to the selecting hard drives it doesn't recognise that windows is installed... Fedora tries to use the whole disk and Mint just doesn't give the option to install along side everything...

I'm not 100% sure but i believe its a UEFI install of windows... it has a separate partition of 100mb for the boot section...

I had got an error relating to GPT partition 1st couple of times and used something which i can't remember to sort it out... which seemed to amend the GPT boot table to a normal MBR... still had no effect... which is also why i reinstalled windows..

is there a way to resolve this or can anyone give me a rough guide to set up everything manually if that would work??

My PC:
    Gigabyte MA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard
    AMD T1075 x8 Processor
    8gb ram
    Boot Drive - 1tb WD Raptor Black
    2x hdds... 1 x 1.5tb and 1 x 1tb

It's really annoying me now and spend a good 20+hrs trying to sort it all out (Also have an issue with the Network Card not working right...)

HELP!!!!

not sure about mint but I have no problem with ubuntu. Im not sure if I had disabled uefi or not before installing windows 7, then installing ubuntu 14.04.

donno if this helps, but that day when I installed FEdora 21, on a puter which had Ubuntu Studio on it, it automatically put an entry in the bootloader for both of them - surely according to common logic, it should do the same for Windoze...? (I'm on 20, which detected XP on my HD just fine...)

I remember the partitioner in 21 being a right bloody PITA, though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by resetreset View Post
    donno if this helps, but that day when I installed FEdora 21, on a puter which had Ubuntu Studio on it, it automatically put an entry in the bootloader for both of them - surely according to common logic, it should do the same for Windoze...? (I'm on 20, which detected XP on my HD just fine...)

I remember the partitioner in 21 being a right bloody PITA, though.
    this means that the problem is with fedora 21's installer?

I'll try the disabling uefi.. if i can work out how to do that... lol!!

I'm close to leaving this with windows for games and buying another pc to have linux on it untainted! Might actually get some work done if i do that...

Linux User
    If the hdd was GPT and changed to MBR by Windows it does not remove the backup Gpt table and Linux will have problems.

To check if Windows is installed in GPT or MBR mode THPC: Check if the hard disk drive is using GPT or MBR

To see if linux is seeing a problem , (Do not know fedora) boot into live Mint and in terminal

Code:
    sudo parted -l   Note: it is a lower case L

-->
    I'll have a look at that... I've done a dual boot before on this system so I've no idea why it won't work... I'd managed to screw up windows or couldn't get something to work but I think that I've found a bargain on eBay... will have a quick price check but i think I'll be sorted...

**EDIT** oooh... remembered why I took Linux off now!!! my stupid fake cintiq thing wouldn't work on it... but that's getting sold now.. even though I've heard it is possible to get it running now..
    Last edited by Shugs81; 02-25-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: cause i remembered stuff