Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

dual boot linux no windows

I assume it is an easy task. Just install 1 then do a partition off it? Aside from that, if that is correct, is it true that I must install what I want to be the default OS 2nd?

I have dual boot on my laptop. I installed windows first and then Linux. Check out Google for dual boot.

If windows is already installed and using the entire disk then you need to take some extra steps to be able to install linux.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    I have dual boot on my laptop. I installed windows first and then Linux. Check out Google for dual boot.

If windows is already installed and using the entire disk then you need to take some extra steps to be able to install linux.
    It will be on a brand new ssd. I will not be dual booting with windows.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    -->
    Sorry, miss read your post.

You can have both on the same drive. Just remember you can only have one partition of any name. But you can also call them anything you want they do not have to be named / or /boot or /home these are for simplicity.

You could for example call all drives for OS1 /os1 and /os1boot and /os1home and then for OS2 the same swapping 2 for 1. I would only make/use 1 swap partition.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted