Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wink Bootable Linux of USB Drive

I want to use Linux as portable OS which can be installed on portable USB Pen Drive and can be booted from different PC to keep working with projects I am doing with USB Pen Drive bootable Linux OS such as Browsing, Spreadsheets etc. My PC is HP and came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed.

UNetbootin now has an option for creating persistence files for Ubuntu liveUSB drives, hence these instructions are no longer necessary.

Go to Index of /diskimg and download one of the files (128mb.zip, 256mb.zip, or 512mb.zip) corresponding to the amount of persistent space you want (make sure the size of the persistent disk image is smaller than the free space you have on your USB drive).

Now extract the file "casper.rw" from the zip file to your USB drive.

Now edit D:\syslinux.cfg (assuming D:\ is where your USB drive is) and add in "persistent" at the end of the line that begins with "append", and save the file, so your syslinux.cfg should look something like this:

default unetbootin
    label unetbootin
    kernel /ubnkern
    append initrd=/ubninit file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash persistent --

For more info see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence
    UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

-->
    Last time I tried and burned Ubuntu OS to USB Pen Drive and configured my BIOS to boot from USB, then plugged in the USB Pen Drive and the system was not able to boot from USB though it was detecting that its configured to boot from USB.

$spacer_open
$spacer_close