Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

can I use grub to force boot from DVD?

I am a somewhat experienced Linux user without much installation experience. I have done a few installs before, but they all went smoothly. This time I am trying to get Debian 7 installed on an computer that I've inherited and don't know much about.

The problem I run into is that I can't seem to get the computer to boot from the Debian 7 install DVD. CD/DVD is a boot option in the BIOS, but when I remove all other options, I get a message saying <i>"No boot media found."</i> The DVD reader seems to be working though -- I see the lights and hear it spin when I expect.

Without really planning, the disk drive I have in position 0 already has an older version of Debian installed on it. I've noticed that if I add the disk drive back to the boot menu, the old OS seems to come up fine (after first showing the grub boot menu). Is it possible to use the grub command line to try to force the computer to start the same boot sequence from the DVD that I expect it to start automatically after leaving BIOS initialization? Even if that fails, I might get some error message that hints at the problem.

If I'm asking a dumb question, and that whole line of attack doesn't make sense, can I use some other computer to install Debian 7 on the disk drive, then physically move it back to the computer where I want it to reside? The fact that the old OS seems to come up OK makes me think this might work even though the idea never would have occurred to me before.

Ouch, answer to part one of my question is that the internal "DVD" reader is actually a CD reader. I would have checked earlier, but I was told by the previous owner that it was a DVD reader. Also, the computer is new enough that I didn't suspect this.

I am still interested in hearing from any experts regarding the feasibility of installing a Debian image onto a disk drive on computer A, and then physically installing that drive on computer B. Is this expected to work? At this point the question is just for curiosity sake, but it would be nice to know the answer.

regarding the feasibility of installing a Debian image onto a disk drive on computer A, and then physically installing that drive on computer B. Is this expected to work?
    Sorry I don't understand your question. Do you want to copy working Debian OS from Computer A to B ?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    -->
    No.

I think that he wants to know, if for example, you install a linux in a computer (let's say 'A'), then you take the hd from 'A' (let's say 'A.HD'), and you put install it in another computer (let's say 'B', so A.HD is now in 'B'), will the linux works correclty too ?

My answer would be 'yes' if the architecture is the same for both computers AND the 'B' computer has hardware that uses the same drivers as the 'A' computer uses.

But I still have to learn about linux, so if you know the answer, please let us know.