Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Want to load vmplayer

Hello:

Below are my results after getting VMware files from the Internet. I need the VMware player Installed.

Any way it downloaded to my laptop in the Downloads directory. I see the following:
    rootredhat Downloads#
    VMware-Player-7.1.0-2496824.x86.bundle
    VMware-Player-7.1.0-2496824.x86.bundle.part

Question: What do I do from here to get the VMware installed
    and which file do I use, the bundle or bundle.part

Would I use yum, or rpm. Could someone explain. thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The .part part means that the bundle was not completely downloaded. What distribution+version of Linux are you running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I am using Redhat
    Redhat
    uname -r
    2.6.32-504.el6.x86_64
    I saw this on the internet, and tried it, now getting all types of errors. See what I did:
    sudo sh VMware-Player-7.1.0-2496824.x86_64.bundle
    Extracting VMware Installer...done.
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module": libpk-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I just tried and got the same errors, but it continued and finished the installation. My guess is that there are some things that will not render optimally without these gtk (graphics toolkit) modules. I haven't tried to run a vmware image as yet, but it said that the installation was successful. I am running the same kernel as you.

Also, FWIW, I have the libcanberra-gtk2.x86_64 package installed. It may not be looking in /usr/lib64 for libraries such as this.

Yes. It did say successful. But it is not loading properly. Suppose to get disclaimer, and then installation can begin, but just blank screen.

There was a command I was unable to do in the beginning. Do you know why?
    see below:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers- `uname -r `
    when I ran it, it said command "apt-get not found

apt-get is for debian distributions only. In any case, assuming you have installed the kernel-headers package, then that should do it for you. It should be in the standard Red Hat repositories.

I see. Thanks. Not sure why I am having issues. Do you think I should re-install. Could I have left out soemthing. But you said you got the same issue.

Once it finished installing I think it would work ok, though some advanced graphics capabilities may not. If it isn't finishing the install successfully (mine did) then you may need to install the kernel-headers package, as in "yum install kernel-headers".

Hello Rubberman. I did a fresh install of my redhat Linux. Probably didn't need to do that anyway, I did get a successful install of VMWplayer. I went to App --> sytemtools and the ICON is there.
    Problem is when I went to open it. I get a box titled VMware Kernel Module Updater . Below that it says:
    GCC
    GNU C compiler (gcc version 4.4.7 was not found. If you installed it in a noon default path you can specify the path below. Then it gives me a location box to locate the file.

-->
    Sounds like you need to install the gcc compiler package. You probably should install the gcc-c++ package also: yum install gcc gcc-c++