Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Ok i thought i had it all installed right. but when it rebooted i started normall but before it got to lilo it started shoing 0101010101 all across the screen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

trying to install slackware

Ok i thought i had it all installed right. but when it rebooted i started normall but before it got to lilo it started shoing 0101010101 all across the screen and keeps printing them indefinatly it wont stop what could be wrond. i must have messed up big time and i think i should go back to an easier linux, like redhat or suse

well if you know what is wrong here please help

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Read this http://miataru.computing.net/linux/w...rum/16919.html but seems your boot sector is hosed up.

The suggested fix from Jonathan is:

Your boot sector is screwed up. Boot up with a boot floppy, and do one of the following:
    fdisk /mbr (if your boot floppy is a dos boot floppy - note that you will need either a Linux boot floppy to boot your system still, or you will need to re-install)

*or*

2. (much better)
    If you have a Linux boot floppy, boot the system, login as root, and run lilo.
    Hope this is of some help,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

well i started to reintsall it cause i think i figured out how i hosed my boot partition. i set it up as jst another partition and not for booting so that might have been the problem. i will jst ahve to see i guess shouldnt take more then another hour or 2 to install. damn i hate slow computers

well this time all i get is 04 all over the screen. i will try what you were saying then i will get back to you all.

well i cant get it to work so i jst gave up and went back with redhat 9 maybe i will get the energy to try again someother day. redhat jst makes it so easy to install. and i dont know enough to set everything up the way it should be.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    So do you have RH 9 up and running then?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    Firstly, slackware kicks arse !

ok,

If you made a linux boot disk during installation, put that into your drive, switch your PC on, and linux should boot from the floppy. Once you have it going, at the commad prompt type:

Code:
    lilo -l
    and it will rewrite your configuration to the boot sector.

Restart the PC, removing the floppy disk.

failing that, repeat, but try using a capital l, eg 'lilo -L'

I got the idea from the man pages:
    -l Generate 24-bit linear sector addresses instead of sector/head/cylinder addresses.

-L Generate 32-bit Logical Block Addresses instead of C:H:S addresses, allowing access to all partitions
    on disks with more than 1024 cylinders.
    Hope that helps.

Jason

yeah i have redhat 9 up and running but i am trying different distros trying to find the one that i like the best and so far i have tryed redhat 9 and mandrake 8. i kind of like redhat but i want to try a few more to decide. when i go and install slackware again sometime next week. and if it dont work i will try what you said Jason.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    How new is your hardware that RH 9 is on ? Video, audio, modem, NIC CD-RW, DVD, etc...
    Dan

its pretty old the cpu is a AMD K6, 128Mb pc66 ram, decent Nic card, integrated video and thats about it. so it is having a hard time running redhat 9 but im goin to keep redhat 9 for alittle while. i will maybe try something different in a couple days or i dont know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast