Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

No booting off of DVD on old XP machine

I had this problem recently on someone's laptop - the Ubuntu 12.04 (I think) that I had refused to boot, to let me run it - I remember, back in the day about competing standards for bootable CDs/DVDs, I remember the name "El Torito" - I never knew WHAT was worked out in the end, I just know that today, if I download an ISO from the net and burn it, it'll boot fine on all modern machines....
    So - question is - if it does NOT boot on an old machine, is it possible to dd that Ubuntu disc to the HD, mount it with -o loop; and then fiddle with it's boot sector? What exactly is it that must be changed....?

This is Extremely Frustrating, as you may imagine, I DON'T wanna give up.

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Can your old computer boot from USB? If so, then use unetbootin to burn a live USB thumb drive from the .iso image, and then install Linux from that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Um....the person I was talking about isn't actually here anymore, he's gone back to the city he lives in..... but that's evading the question - I really want to know about those bootable CD standards.....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    In the past I've had problems when I would burn a disc to an off-brand blank until the drive firmware was updated. That may be the issue. I have always had the fewest problem when booting from Verbatim blanks. Another thing, and more likely, is that some of those older systems also could not handle DVD+R, but only DVD-R media. There is a lot of difference between the two. So, if you are using DVD+R, try a blank of DVD-R type. Also, burn at about 1/2 the maximum listed speed for the media. If it is x8, burn at x4. That will help eliminate hardware buffer overflow, hence fewer coffee coasters.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Engineer
    I use "El Torito" and boot grub or I use "syslinux" when I make bootable cd/dvd including live linux images and even an installer for gentoo.

what do you mean you USE El Torito? that's a standard, right?

what is "syslinux"?

Linux Engineer
    When I am making the iso image, I tell "mkisofs" to use "El Torito" and grub has a "stage2_eltorito" for booting.

And what if you've downloaded an ISO? What's that about grub? I didn't follow....

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Can your old computer boot from USB? If so, then use unetbootin to burn a live USB thumb drive from the .iso image, and then install Linux from that.
    This. I was surprised when my Toshiba Satellite wouldn't boot from a CD. I tried changing the boot sequence in the BIOS and that didn't work. I finally gave up and put the ISO on a USB drive and it worked right away.