Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Some quistions about booting Linux from a USB

Hi there,

I will like to know what actually happend when I creat a bootable USB using Linux?
    Can I create it on a 2GB USB, if the ISO file is about 1.5gb?
    Can I put several Linuxs on one bootable usb, and leave only 500mb free space on the USB?

Thank you!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Do you want a live USB thumb drive, or one that can be written to persistently. If you want to create a live USB thumb drive from an ISO file, then get Unetbootin which will happily create a live USB drive that you can boot, assuming your system allows USB booting.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Hi, thx.

And about the size - what does a Live USB mean?
    If the ISO is about 1.5gb, will it be ok to be put on a 2GB USB for live booting?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    -->
    A live CD/DVD/USB drive is one that lets you run and test the operating system without bothering the installed software on your hardware, though it can also be used as a rescue tool. I think a 1.5gb ISO will fit nicely on a 2gb stick. Usually, you can also install the OS from the live device on your system hardware if desired.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!