Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
yowww, Even though we (as Linux people) love Linux, I can almost bet that other people who aren't into computers won't ever take the time to learn Linux. Most people ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

yowww,

Even though we (as Linux people) love Linux, I can almost bet that other people who aren't into computers won't ever take the time to learn Linux. Most people are happy with something that just works and as long as it does it's job, they won't change that. With this being said, this is why I think most people won't port over from Windows to Linux.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    Then it can of course be discussed whether Windows actually works, but I'll leave that discussion for now.

Linux Engineer
    Hehe. I guess I should have said that people just really don't care that Windows crashes. Once it's restarted, it'll last for another day or two. Most people are satisified with that.
    I once tried teaching simple UNIX commands to my roomates at college since they had to do a project. They had to build a website but since they didn't know the basic commands in UNIX, I tried explaining it to them. They just let me do it since they didn't care. I believe it's this kind of attitude that's going to let Windows dominate the market.

Linux Enthusiast
    craig_mcd - I think you missed a lot of this thread before trying to make your point, oh well.

Anyway, all i'm saying is that the newer stuff is not necessarily unstable. It seems that we have cleared up that misunderstanding. Yes, the older stuff may be tested for a longer period of time and therefore better for admin stuff, but the home users seem to want something more up2date. I have built and configured a few dual boot systems for customers with win and red hat 9. They all seem very happy with it. It runs the most up to date apps as I install them.

The point about the way windows people are is well taken - they just want it to work. A lot of people couldn't care less about commands and compiling from source and such. I gotta admit, I was that way when I got my first computer. However, it didn't take me long to learn and then tire of windows. I guess people respond to computers differently.

The point that was made about just wanting it to work is an interesting one. It does have some complexity as Dolda hinted at. Windows probably does work better than linux in that more software is written specifically for it and therefore is readily available to be installed. And, yes, if you have a crash as very often you may in windows, you can just restart and things are *usually* back to normal. However, the trade off, I find with linux, is that things tend to run a lot better and of course way fewer (if any) crashes. So it appears things are at this juncture:

windows - lots of software available (some of which requires you buy it or get a serial number), compatible with virtually everything since most people use it, can crash, blue screen etc and requires you tend to your hard drive regularly as it needs scandisk and defrag, has been prone to viruses, trojans and failing where you lose everything and require a reinstall.

linux - lots of software available but requires some work at times to get it running. The operating system itself is very stable as long as you use the hardware it supports. Very few crashes take place and the filesystem is superior to what is used by windows in that it does not require defrag and is far less susceptible to viruses and trojans. It is basically unheard of that linux would crash where it would require a reinstall unless you change something you are not supposed to.

The bottom line is that if more people took the time to learn linux, I would make far less money, lol.

Thank you windows users! lol

Linux Engineer
    yowww,

If more people did decide to run Linux. then you'd be making less money. Let's just hope that this evolution takes time as opposed to some drastic over night change.

Linux Newbie
    Actually I did read all the posts before I passed comment.
    I didnt feel the need to add to what the others posted.

Linux Engineer
    craig,

Since you are running stable with KDE 3.1, can you tell me what happens when you try to install kdevelop?

Linux User
    You may just ignore my post, thanks!

I think when comes to new versions are much more stable in Microsoft stuff, for example, Windows XP is much more stable than NT. So I would like to assume that many other software or OSs are heading the same trend as well.

I think the reasons why many developers and network administrators are so reluctant to switch to new versions of software is because too much time and money involved in upgrading, admin and software and hardware compatibility issues. These discourage people to upgrade their systems, for example, the company I work in , one of the leading investment banks in the globe, still use windows NT SP5 and Office 97. One IT engineer told me it is because the time and software compatibility issues are too risky to be ignored, these might cause hugely!

Nowadays, we must agree that many people turn to Linux is because its stability in servers environment, when comes to server, this is the same as above mentioned, i think. If someone wanna upgrade a Linux server, much needed to consider before action.

And also many problems in older version of software are known or fixed, therefore people are well prepared on them and know how to deal with them, while many problem in new software are yet to be uncovered, so people are not ready for it before most problems are solved or discovered.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    craig,

Since you are running stable with KDE 3.1, can you tell me what happens when you try to install kdevelop?
    What version are you trying to install ?

I just installed 2.1.5 (for KDE 3.1) but had to use the sources from the kdevelop site as the ones in sid gave me an error when trying to install (not that I tried very hard to sort out the problem). It might be due to me having a bits of software from sid, stable and other sources.

Linux Engineer
    I tried installing the stable version and it told me that kdelibs3 were required (at the time, I had KDE3 which has kdelibs4). What did you do to install it?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast