Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
hello, I am thinking of installing debian on my box and was wondering if it is in fact much stable than redhat?.Any pointers from the gurus?.Also debian is available at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian better than Redhat??

hello,
    I am thinking of installing debian on my box and was wondering if it is in fact much stable than redhat?.Any pointers from the gurus?.Also debian is available at a lot lesser price.

Linux Enthusiast
    I have been using red hat for a while now and recently tried Debian Woody. I couldn't get over how old the packages were that came with it and I couldn't seem to figure out a way to upgrade them.

I liked the concept of it, but in reality it wasn't good at all imho, but perhaps I missed something, anyway, back to rh 9 now and loving it.

Linux Engineer
    Debian has three releases: stable, testing, and unstable. You can always use unstable at home if you want the latest packages. It's not as dangerous as the name sounds.
    I don't think I'll ever go back to using RedHat unless I'm at work. Debian makes my life simple.
    The best things in life are free.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I think rh,suse,mandrake is better then debian, i havent used debian for as long time as i used the others though... but everyting is much more simplier on the 3 mention above.

The good thing about debian is that they have a policy only to use free GPL licenced products, which is good!!

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux User
    I think RH is just more into simplicity, qualifications and contemporary. millions of users around the globe and dozens of distros based on it prove RH is the best around.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Newbie
    I have not looked back since using debian. Sure some of the software might be a bit dated but that is a great idea if you use it in the server enviroment as you know it has been thoroughly tested.

You can add new sources (entries which define where sofware is available from) to use the latest if you want.

Give debian a try, it is one of the oldest and best linux distros.

andutt - How is everything more simpler on RH, Suse and Mandrake ?

Linux Enthusiast
    debian woody = gnome 1.4

nuff said

Linux Guru
    I don't know about you, but I actually find gnome 1.4 superior to gnome 2.x in several respects. There are many more settings that you can tweak in it.

Linux Newbie
    Gnome 2.2 *is* available for debian.
    All you have to do is edit your sources.list.

'nuff said.

Linux Engineer
    Beware that if you use other sources other than Debian, you may have problem regarding package dependencies.
    The best things in life are free.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast