Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to recover lost partitions?

I have a sata 3.5 internal hard drive, on which I created one extended partition. In order, it contained a 1.7Gb Linux swap partition, 3 ext3 partitions for 3 linux operating systems and another ext3 partition for my data. Later I removed the first 2 ext3 partitions, filling their place with a new linux system. I then tried to burn a 1.7Gb iso file to my USB stick. However, it wrote the contents to that hard drive.

The original swap partition was smaller than the contents of the burned iso file, which is now a FAT12 volume.

I then used Testdisk cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk but it couldn't write a new partition table to it although it could read all my data files. How can I access my data? (I used the 'dd' command to burn the iso file.)

you can use gparted iso using bootable pen drive & then use the tool testdisk.

I did try gparted on a hard drive, using its 'recover lost data' feature, but it didn't work.

Do I still use gparted burnt to a pen drive? What would it achieve that the one on the hard drive couldn't? What does it do that will allow Testdisk to use it? Which command do I use?

The gparted iso file comes also with a version of testdisk. Do I use that or the one on the hard drive if I use gparted burnt to a pen drive?

What are my chances of recovery?
    Last edited by prost; 04-14-2015 at 12:32 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    -->
    I have recovered my files using Testdisk's copy function. I didn't see it earlier. Thanks. Someone suggested reinstalling the grub boot loader too.
    Last edited by prost; 04-15-2015 at 08:30 PM.